• Next Hunger Games
    Our next Hunger Games is a little different than our previous ones. Called "Battle Royale," this Hunger Games will feature one lucky class to be sent to the Hunger Games together. Mr. Dressler's honors history class tried to ignite revolution in Panem. And for their trouble, they will be sent to the arena together. Join us by making a high school junior (16-17 years old) from District 11. See the Battle Royale Subforum for more information. We aim to start in December so now's the time to start developing your character!
  • Staff
    Gem
    Head Admin
    GMT -8
    Jade
    Games Admin
    GMT -6
    Fading
    Admin
    GMT -?
    Lux
    GMT -?
    Callanthas
    GMT -7
  • Credits
    Thank you to Suzanne Collins for the creation of Panem and The Hunger Games trilogy. And thank you for the following people who contributed to site design: Ring Wang: banner slideshow code, Revo: fixed sidebar code, Gem: site skin(s).

And many thanks to Sixth Station members for their characters, posts, creativity and work. Thank you to everyone mentioned and unmentioned for the work put into making this site the great board it is.

Thank You

After four years, we have decided to close down Sixth Station. The site has meant so much to many of us who spent countless hours into our game. Thank you to everyone who has been a part of our game.

The 101-Fall Hunger Games are wrapping up. You have 24-48 hours to enter the final posts. Members can still post in the "History of Sixth Station" and the "Connection" forums.

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) ADD REPLY NEW TOPIC NEW POLL

» don't get caught, [jill]
Aamina Ellis
 Posted: Jan 15 2012, 09:25 PM
[QUOTE]
Student
Female
5'7"
127 LBS
District Twelve
26-November 11 • 2530 Moneys

Ellie

Mina felt a bit of relief when Jill admitted that game could be sold. Still, it didn't mean the type of game she caught would be any good--it was all small, squirrels and rabbits and maybe, if she was lucky, a small fox. Not exactly exotic stuff, nothing like the gemstones and herbs and other miracle products that came from the Capitol. She bit her lip anxiously and followed Jill's gaze over to a specific man, who Jill told her bought game for fur. Probably not squirrel fur, though.

"What kinds of animals?" she inquired, trying to size up the man across the market without looking like she was staring. He didn't look too horribly dangerous or anything...if she saw him on the street, she'd never assume he worked in the Black Market. But then, if anyone saw her on the street, they would assume the same thing. Looks didn't always speak to much of a person's actions.

Mina turned, wide-eyed, to Jill. This was exactly what she'd been hoping for, she supposed. She'd been thinking for weeks, ever since she'd run into Natalia in the square, about coming to the Black Market, about starting up her own sales, about making money that she could put away and save instead of spend on food...about what she could eventually do with said money. Was she really going to be a total chicken and back down now, now that she was exactly where she wanted to be?

"Yes," she said eagerly. "I mean...please. I'd really like that. We...my brother and me...we could use the money." If that meant she had to learn how to hunt bigger game, then she would learn--if she could get her foot in the door, maybe she could trade for or buy some weapons or something, to help Bastian train or to help her hunt. Either way, she just had to get herself started.

--------------------
[PM]
^
Jill Donner
 Posted: Jan 16 2012, 12:24 AM
[QUOTE]
Student
Female
5'9"
119 LBS
District Twelve
24-December 11 • 315 Moneys

o-o

A small smile spread across Jill's face. Not because of Mina's answer but how she had said the answer. How eager the girl was made even Jill a tad bit excited to help her...which was unusual all itself. "Various types of animals, he will pay for anything just the bigger animals and such will get you more money." Jill thought on what she had seen him selling around here for a few moments to see if she could recall what paid the big money. She knew that he accepted smaller animals also, but typically that was just less money and sometimes would be considered a waste of time. If you were looking for the big money fast, you went big. Of course Jill would not have Mina start big though, it was a careful process...Last thing you wanted was someone showing up dead from trying to hunt something too big.

"Best money would be Bears, wild cats, larger dog predators... and such. Some even like forms of more exotic sea animals around here. Predators are what seem to sell higher." Of course the more dangerous tasks were what made more money. Anything that sounds like a 'Get rich fast scheme' had to be life threatening around here.

Around here it seemed that everyone needed money, and the mines just weren't cutting it anymore. Jill didn't personally know her brother nor know Mina's life style but she could understand needing the money seeing as she did live in the slums. And by her small hints, it seemed also that she had a very similar story as herself. Though Jill did not feel as though she owes anything to any other district, she did for some reason feel like she owed some obligation to her own district. District twelve had always been seen as the lower district and given the least amount of chance, so if Jill could help a fellow member...she would. "I completely understand. When would you like to start." The smile grew on Jill's face, the fun would soon begin.

--------------------
user posted image
[PM]
^
Aamina Ellis
 Posted: Jan 16 2012, 09:07 AM
[QUOTE]
Student
Female
5'7"
127 LBS
District Twelve

Ellie

Mina couldn't help but start to smile; so she didn't catch big game...she didn't need big money right away, did she? She just needed a start, and if a few rabbits and squirrels and the odd fox would give her that, then she had what she needed. She shifted from one foot to the other excitedly, listening as Jill explained the types of game that would bring in the most money.

"I don't really catch that kind," she said a bit wistfully. "I've got some traps up, and they bring in rabbits and squirrels on a pretty regular basis. I caught a fox once, but I had no idea what to do with it, so I let it go. I really only know how to break their necks and bring them home...Bastian kind of does the rest. Can they be sold like that or do I actually have to...you know...skin them, and stuff?" She tried unsuccessfully to avoid making a face; Mina had had a hard enough time just killing an animal for her own survival. Desecrating one for pocket money...well, she wasn't exactly sure she could stomach it. She'd find out soon enough, she supposed.

She glanced around the market again, trying to see if people sold game from stands or individually. "What would I need?" she inquired curiously, only really processing Jill's question a few moments later. "Oh...um...soon?" she asked hopefully. "Now? I mean...I should get back home before my brother gets pissed, but...I have some time before that."

She grinned mischievously and asked again, "Do I need to build some sort of...of shop thing? Or could I deal with someone directly? D'you know anyone who sells the stuff I'd need to catch bigger game or...or how to do that? Sorry," she apologized a bit sheepishly. "Too many questions."

--------------------
[PM]
^
Jill Donner
 Posted: Jan 22 2012, 06:46 PM
[QUOTE]
Student
Female
5'9"
119 LBS
District Twelve

o-o

A small smile grew upon Jill's face. The girl was humorous with her long list of questions. Before answering each question Jill did think on them for a few moments based on her knowledge and what she had seen sold around the market, after all, she did want to give the girl the most accurate answer she could.

"It varies on what you plan doing, you can work for someone or you can open your own business..."
Thinking on it for a few moments, starting your own business really didn't sound like that bad of an idea. "If you did wanted to start our own business, we could start a stand together like partner..." Jill said in a thoughtful tone. "If you worked for someone else, it would vary on what they wanted within products, but opening your own business gives you much more freedom to do as you please."

Mina's questions only continued as she seemed to be more only more curious of everything. "We can start when ever you'd like. I mean if your brother is calling you can return home to him if that's really what you'd like." Jill was only saying this to possibly provoke Mina to start her Black Market dealing sooner. A small grin came to Jill's face as she began to feel that tad bit of mischief grow from inside her. "Don't be sorry, questions are always good."

--------------------
user posted image
[PM]
^
Aamina Ellis
 Posted: Jan 23 2012, 07:00 PM
[QUOTE]
Student
Female
5'7"
127 LBS
District Twelve

Ellie

Mina was hanging on every word Jill said, her excitement growing as the girl shared her knowledge. This was exactly what she'd been looking for, a way to make money, to do it as she saw fit, to really exert her independence, to help support her brother...not that Bastian would like any of this, but she knew that he couldn't exactly turn his nose up at the extra money. Not if it meant they could save and save and eventually get themselves out of this awful situation. Not if it meant they could open up their own bakery again and do what they actually knew how to do. Though Mina wondered vaguely if she would ever feel at home in a bakery again; there were other places that were starting to feel like home to her now. She shook her head to clear it; that was foolish. Of course she wanted to open a bakery--they couldn't live in the slums forever, or they'd just die of exhaustion.

Instead, she fixated on Jill's proposal that they open a stand together. "Really?!" she asked excitedly, her eyes brightening at the idea. "You mean it? Because I would love that, I just don't know that much yet, and I don't know what kind of prices, and I can only bring in some sorts of game and some herbs and berries, and I can make this bread if I get the right ingredients, but do you think something like that would sell, or should we just make it game or...sorry," she said, blushing as she realized she had just been babbling like an idiot. She couldn't help it; it had been ages since she'd had a really good project and someone else who was as excited about it as she was. Mina didn't have a lot of friends in the slums, and her brother wasn't exactly on board with all her activities.

She was also a bit embarrassed by her constant worry about what her brother would think. She ought to be able to do what she could for her family without worrying about him, shouldn't she? She straightened up and told Jill resolutely, "No, I don't need to be back. He won't miss me." That wasn't exactly true, and she was sure she would pay for being absent from the house later, but right now, she felt there were more important things to be getting on with.

"So...what do we do?" she asked eagerly.

--------------------
[PM]
^
Jill Donner
 Posted: Jan 25 2012, 08:00 PM
[QUOTE]
Student
Female
5'9"
119 LBS
District Twelve

o-o

Jill felt as though she had just made the girls entire day...possibly even her entire week. Before speaking Jill would of course think of everything she said to be sure she never lied to the women either. The last thing she wanted was to be leading false hope. "Of course we could, and we can decide the prices as we go along. Its nothing written in stone, just varies on how you would like to run your business and what prices people would like to buy them for. Many business's have their customer's make offers rather than a specific price."

Of course, now this led to Jill having to gather the space for said market. They could possibly start one on the outskirts of the Black Market, but that wouldn't be the best of business. Or...They could take another stand by running the business out. A very sly and almost shady smile crawled across Jill's face. "Right now? We eliminate the competition. Just keep up and don't get caught."

Walking over to a stand that Jill had pointed out earlier as a game stand, idea's began to pop into her head. This was dangerous ground of course, but anything that was actually worth a lot, was meant to be dangerous. Once reaching the stand, Jill looked about like she was actually curious about something they were selling but this was just a distraction. Unless you knew Jill and were watching her detail for detail then you would have never noticed the light strands of gun powder that Jill had set up. The man was one of a smoker, a very low class type of smoker, but still a smoker none the less. Jill had walked away once the man had returned and she made sure Mina was following. They needed enough distance before the minute was up. Jill had timed how long it took the man to get bored and flick away his Tarstix for moments just like this. By the time they had enough distance, the man stand went up in flames. The man was alright, but traumatized enough not to return to the Market for a while. Giving Jill and Mina....his area in the Black Market. Dead center and the perfect spot.

--------------------
user posted image
[PM]
^
Aamina Ellis
 Posted: Jan 26 2012, 03:14 PM
[QUOTE]
Student
Female
5'7"
127 LBS
District Twelve

Ellie

Mina nodded along, the academic in her frantically taking mental notes so she wouldn't forget anything. No fixed prices, a barter system, bring in whatever you want...her mind was racing. What if this was her do-over? Her fresh start? What if eventually, she could take a little black market stand and turn it into her longed-for bakery? That was exciting. So exciting that Mina didn't quite comprehend what was going on as she doggedly followed Jill over to the game stand.

Mina quite naively assumed that Jill was perusing the game in order to take stock and see what they were up against...to see what they ought to bring in to oppose what this man was selling. It was what Mina herself would do, and what she did do, categorically, as Jill dropped faint traces of gun powder all over the stand. Mina never noticed the sleight of hand, and she was more than a little confused when they started hurriedly making their way back to the center of the market, not having exchanged a word or taken note of anything, really.

"Why did we--" she began, only to be cut off by the sudden gasps and cries of the people in the market. She whirled around, and her eyes flew open in shock--the stand from which they had just come was ablaze, the man frantic, the goods burning up swiftly.

Mina was frozen to the spot, her heart hammering. She'd stood here before, watched this before, felt this before--she knew exactly what was running through that poor man's head. There it all goes. Though, when it had been her, when she had stood outside, shivering in the cold as her own home and her parents' business burned to the ground...well, there had been a little bit more than business concern on her mind.

After the initial shock--and once the blaze was swiftly put out by fellow marketeers--Mina was able to move, to turn to Jill, and on seeing her new friend's triumphant look, it all clicked. She felt her stomach sink with guilt as she realized--she had been party to this. To this man's loss of business, though luckily, not of life.

"Did we..." she whispered quietly, unable even to finish the thought. She knew. And she wasn't sure she liked it.

--------------------
[PM]
^
Jill Donner
 Posted: Jan 26 2012, 06:41 PM
[QUOTE]
Student
Female
5'9"
119 LBS
District Twelve

o-o

The easy part was done, now it was time for the more difficult part of the task of getting a stand.Jill figured that Mina would not be perfectly joyous with blowing up someone's stand. In a world such as the one they lived in, you had to step on others in order to get your way sometimes. Jill did have a past with this man whose stand she had just blew up...which she believed gave her all the right to do what she just did.

For a few moments Jill tried to figure out how to explain her actions to Mina. Carefully she watched the flames consume the mans stand. The flames were reflected in her eyes, and before you knew it there was a rush to put out the flames. But it was too late, the flames had already consumed everything within the stand and the stand itself. The man was left with nothing. "Karma" Jill spoke softly before turning away from the stand and looking at Mina.

By the look in Mina's eyes, Jill could tell that there was something else bothering her. Really Jill should think things over more clearly before performing her actions, but Jill really had no care for what people thought. As long as Mina listened, then Jill would promise to keep her out of trouble and earn her some good money. Jill had postponed answering Mina's question/comment, but she knew that after her actions...She did owe Mina some kind of explanation.

"I did. You have to decide if this is what you are really up for. Its a ugly and shady business...You can't be afraid to get your hands a little dirty." Jill just knew this much from experience. It turned out that Jill had more reason to burn down the man's stand than she led on. The man was who put her mother out of business when he decided to burn down her stand just the same way. The lack of money is what ultimately led to both of her parents growing terribly ill, and eventually passing away. "I don't allow those who I work with to get in trouble, you will be safe in this business....Now the time that you can really decide...." Jill didn't want to bull shit this girl, so she was perfectly honest.

The wind blew slightly now, spreading some of the ashes of the stand that was once there. She already had a claim for whatever stand region would open up first...which meant that area was now her's and Mina's...If Mina still desired to pursue a life such as this one. Sometimes Jill considered working at the Black Market a life style, not so much a job. And this was a life style choice she would offer to Mina, but only if she was ready for the reality of the work.

--------------------
user posted image
[PM]
^
Aamina Ellis
 Posted: Jan 28 2012, 09:49 AM
[QUOTE]
Student
Female
5'7"
127 LBS
District Twelve

Ellie

Mina bit her lip anxiously; she was typically good at decisions...well, she made them quickly, if that counted for anything. Sometimes they weren't exactly the right decisions, but she always followed through, stuck by her choices. She wasn't a second-guesser, but right now, that's exactly what she was doing. For over a year, she'd been sneaking around, stealing things, skipping school, setting traps in the woods, and she had thought that was bad. Trading in the black market was the biggest step she'd taken thus far, and now she was wondering if she would regret it.

Mina didn't like to hurt people. She didn't like others to suffer, especially not just for her own gain. Thus far, she'd been able to avoid any sort of suffering, by taking only what she needed and only from those who wouldn't miss it. Sure, she'd had to kill a few rabbits and squirrels and that sort, but that was normal--she'd begun to reconcile herself to that, though she hated days when she saw her traps were full. It might mean good food on the table, but it also meant killing a defenseless animal, which Mina still hated. This black market venture...it meant a lot more than just food on the table. It could mean a whole different life, even if it would take years to get there. Years was a hell of a lot sooner than 'never.' But Mina didn't know that she could set out to purposefully hurt others for her own personal gain, no matter what the recompense.

She shifted awkwardly from one foot to the other, wondering how she could back out of the deal now. As she glanced up at Jill, though, her resolve hardened; this girl might know more than Mina, but that didn't mean she knew everything. She might have a lot to learn, but that didn't mean she didn't have anything to offer up, either. In a split second, she made her decision, straightening up as she relayed it to Jill.

"I'm in," she said firmly. "Getting my hands dirty doesn't scare me. But," she added, arching an eyebrow. "I'm not going to hurt people. At least, not like that." She nodded back to the ashy stand without turning to face it; she didn't want to see the familiar sight of burned wreckage. "I don't mind stealing and cheating and lying and whatever else I have to do to carve out a living here. But there has to be a way to do it without making everyone else's life worse than it already is. So if you're all right with not killing anyone, then I say we're in business."

--------------------
[PM]
^
Jill Donner
 Posted: Jan 28 2012, 11:24 AM
[QUOTE]
Student
Female
5'9"
119 LBS
District Twelve

o-o

Mina's response was actually one of an interesting one. It was good to see someone stand up for what they believe in, especially in situations such as this. Jill herself knew in no way was this a easy decision to make. But Jill also knew that she wasn't one up for killing people, only equalizing karma. When it came time to make decisions that were dangerous such as burning down the stand, Jill was careful to not allow anyone to get anyone seriously hurt, but if the person had such a thing coming such as getting their stand burned down...Then Jill would complete the task remorselessly.

The girl was very strong on where she stood in such an issue as this, but so was Jill.This minor detail would either help or destroy their business. "Killing won't be part of the business, I don't kill...I just equalize the playing fields." Jill knew she put some loop holes within what she said but that was just for precautions of future stations. Of course she never had killed someone, and now she did promise not to kill for the sake of their new business...But she never made it clear of any intentions outside of the business. Currently there was no intentions in general, but you never knew what would come your way within the future.

"We won't kill anyone."
Jill repeated just to be clear of what the women was wanting as an agreement. Giving slight nod Jill agreed to the conditions that Mina had brought forth. It was reasonable enough conditions, Jill had just never owned her own business within the Market either. This was a huge step for the both of them, and Jill at first was questioning if she was ready to take it. "Its a deal."

--------------------
user posted image
[PM]
^
Aamina Ellis
 Posted: Jan 28 2012, 11:45 AM
[QUOTE]
Student
Female
5'7"
127 LBS
District Twelve

Ellie

Mina was relieved to hear Jill agree to her terms. She had heard the loophole, but she didn't say anything; what her friend did in her own personal life and on her own time...well, that was her own business. As long as they were clear on their own deal, then it ought not make any difference to her. But she couldn't help but wonder exactly how often Jill went around evening the playing field for herself. Vaguely, she wondered if that had been what happened to her own family--if someone had decided to take out the competition, no matter the cost. They never had gotten a definitive answer on what started the fire...

Mina shook her head and gave Jill an enthusiastic grin. "All right, partner," she said, crossing her arms and surveying the market, much cleared out due to Jill's little stunt with the game stand behind them. "Looks like we've got a lot of work to do. We should probably meet back here tomorrow...if we need lumber, you know, to build ourselves a counter or anything, I know where to snag some. And I should probably get back out to set some more traps...after I build some more, that is." She'd reset her existing traps, but she had mostly been using those to bring in food for herself and Bastian; if she was going to have enough to sell and put food on the table, she was going to need to spend a day or two building more.

"What else?" she asked, eager to get started. The incident with the fire was still niggling away in the back of her mind, but she pushed it aside. This little venture of hers was going to pay off big time, and she couldn't let other people's actions--especially not Jill's--bother her if she was going to become a black market trader.

--------------------
[PM]
^
Jill Donner
 Posted: Jan 28 2012, 08:55 PM
[QUOTE]
Student
Female
5'9"
119 LBS
District Twelve

o-o

Now this would be interesting. Jill had considered making a stand a few times but never actually followed threw with it until now. That was, if it actually worked out between the two of them. This was actually the first time that Jill had resorted low enough to using fire against someone, typically she used more logic's and looks to get her way. Sometimes, you just got to let your crazy side come out though.

"Tomorrow sounds like a good time to start."
Jill also surveyed the area now to see if people were still reacting or if everything had just died down. To no surprise, it was a mixture of both emotions, only proving that construction wouldn't really be possible today without look suspicious. "Tomorrow is our best chance at least, and any supplies would be greatly appreciated. I have some ties around here that could help us also get a head start."

Creating a stand wasn't the hard part, neither was gathering customers. The difficult part was maintaining a stand with the proper merchandise constantly coming in. It seemed Jill would be going back into other towns tonight for further merchandise to sell.

--------------------
user posted image
[PM]
^
Aamina Ellis
 Posted: Jan 29 2012, 11:27 AM
[QUOTE]
Student
Female
5'7"
127 LBS
District Twelve

Ellie

Mina nodded, pleased that Jill at least still wanted to do business with her, and that the other girl also wanted to get started as soon as possible. Mina would like to get a head start, to sell as much as she could before her brother figured out what she was doing. If that happened...well, either he'd try to put a stop to it however he could or else she'd be building her own house. She couldn't really see a third option. Which was why she wanted to get going--if she could pull the wool over his eyes for long enough, she might be able to make a decent amount of money before she had to get out of dodge.

"Ok, tomorrow at eight?" she asked, naming an early hour not only because it would give them the entire day to work, but because she knew she'd never sleep tonight and by the time the sun rose, 8 am would seem like it was a million hours away. "I'll meet you here. But I should get going, if I can...to get things done." And to make sure Bastian didn't suspect that she was out and up to trouble.

Feel free to wrap this up if you want, or we can just leave it here! Should we get another thread going so they can actually like...sell things?

--------------------
[PM]
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 2  ADD REPLY NEW TOPIC NEW POLL

SixthStation

BLOOD & ASHES - AN AU HGRP Rise of the Believers Interitus Visionary Tales Red Carpet & Rebellion Accursed Skyrim Song of the Mockingjay

Keep the Dream Alive! THE UNDERGROUND The Next Incantation Lochland Grove TWF HungerGamesRP RPG-D GRAPHICS GAMES