• Next Hunger Games
    Our next Hunger Games is a little different than our previous ones. Called "Battle Royale," this Hunger Games will feature one lucky class to be sent to the Hunger Games together. Mr. Dressler's honors history class tried to ignite revolution in Panem. And for their trouble, they will be sent to the arena together. Join us by making a high school junior (16-17 years old) from District 11. See the Battle Royale Subforum for more information. We aim to start in December so now's the time to start developing your character!
  • Staff
    Gem
    Head Admin
    GMT -8
    Jade
    Games Admin
    GMT -6
    Fading
    Admin
    GMT -?
    Lux
    GMT -?
    Callanthas
    GMT -7
  • Credits
    Thank you to Suzanne Collins for the creation of Panem and The Hunger Games trilogy. And thank you for the following people who contributed to site design: Ring Wang: banner slideshow code, Revo: fixed sidebar code, Gem: site skin(s).

And many thanks to Sixth Station members for their characters, posts, creativity and work. Thank you to everyone mentioned and unmentioned for the work put into making this site the great board it is.

Thank You

After four years, we have decided to close down Sixth Station. The site has meant so much to many of us who spent countless hours into our game. Thank you to everyone who has been a part of our game.

The 101-Fall Hunger Games are wrapping up. You have 24-48 hours to enter the final posts. Members can still post in the "History of Sixth Station" and the "Connection" forums.

ADD REPLY NEW TOPIC NEW POLL

» 06. FAQ
Dr. Gemgebralth Taylor
 Posted: Nov 9 2010, 12:07 AM
[QUOTE]
Dungeon Master
Male
5'9"
x LBS
Capitol
2-November 10 • 30249 Moneys

Gem

FAQ
The frequently asked questions of the board. If you have one, let a staff member know and we'll get you the answer as soon as possible.

-- General Questions
-- About Creating Characters
-- About the Hunger Games
-- About RP and the Games
-- About Life in Panem

For further questions about how the Hunger Games function through RP, please see this FAQ thread which goes into more detail about the Hunger Games.

General Questions

What is this board rated?
    The board is rated PG-13. No one under 13 is allowed to join the board. We must abide by the server's ToS.

Can I join if I never read The Hunger Games?
    Definitely. Just make sure to read all of the documentation. If after you've done so, you still have question, please ask the staff.

What is a Dungeon Master?
    The Dungeon Master (or DM) is the organizer or referee of the roleplay. It organizes several events. In this case, the character Dr. Taylor is used as a puppet of the dungeon master. (But don't tell him that; he likes to be in charge.)

--------------------
[PM] [EMAIL]
^
Dr. Gemgebralth Taylor
 Posted: Nov 9 2010, 12:13 AM
[QUOTE]
Dungeon Master
Male
5'9"
x LBS
Capitol

Gem

About Creating Characters

How many characters can I create?
    Members are allowed to create as many characters as they would like as long as they can control them. However, if members appear to be getting over their heads, they will be contacted and placed on "character ban" until things (real life, homework, etc) calm down and/or their characters are more developed.

Can I make a Tribute?
    You cannot make a Tribute off the bat; you make a district resident between the ages of 12 and 18, and when the reaping comes, the character's name will be entered into the drawing. A boy and a girl from each district will be chosen.

May I make a stylist or part of the prep team?
    Yes. You will register them as Capitol characters and write their jobs and the district they work for in the "Occupation" line.

Can I make a Victor?
    Yes. Make sure that the Games you want is open and fill out the appropriate application. Victor applications will be held to higher standards to make sure the applicant has a good grasp of the character and the particular Game.

Can I make a mentor?
    The Mentor is the same thing as the Victor. Victors return to train the Tributes. In areas where there are many Victors, not all will be mentors (but they can be, if you wish). In areas where there are not many Victors, each Victor must be a Mentor.

Can my character interact with other characters of different districts?
    Yes! By all means! I changed Panem for the sake of this RP so that all the districts are in one city so that people could have the opportunity to RP with each other. :] However, district residents may not visit the Capitol.

--------------------
[PM] [EMAIL]
^
Dr. Gemgebralth Taylor
 Posted: Nov 9 2010, 12:20 AM
[QUOTE]
Dungeon Master
Male
5'9"
x LBS
Capitol

Gem

About The Hunger Games

What are the Hunger Games?
    In order to maintain control of the districts and remind them of their places, the Hunger Games were created nearly 100 years ago to instill fear of the government into the population. Every year, two kids from each district will go into an arena against two kids from every district and fight to the death. It's great fun for the Capitol.

What is the Hunger Games process like?
    Each child aged 12-18 has their name put into a giant basket on a special day once a year. One boy and one girl are drawn from the basket. They are whisked away that day and they may say brief good byes to selected family and friends. Then they are boarded on a train for the Capitol. When they are arrived they are prepared by their prep teams--bathed, waxed, groomed, dressed, etc--and then they undergo a series of fun and exciting things during prep week.

What are Tessarae?
    A Tessarae is a portion of food which each resident aged 12 to 18 can ask to be given to the family. However, with each Tessarae a character takes out, his chances of going to the Games increase. Neat, huh? Particularly if you're in a poorer district where that extra food helps the family greatly.

What is Prep Week?
    During Prep Week, the Tributes each live in the training center with their prep team and mentors (each district has their own floor). They are pampered and fed well. They train at stations during special training times. They give speeches to the whole of Panem and the delighted Capitol. Each Tribute must show off their skills to a private panel of judges. Their training scores are released that night, with 0 being the lowest and 12 being the highest, though no one knows what any Tribute did to earn the score.

How do the Games begin?
    The Tributes are taken by hovercraft to an arena in an undisclosed location. There the Tributes are lifted up on pads through the arena floor to the start place, called the Cornucopia, which is named after (you guessed it) a giant Cornucopia. The Tributes cannot move off of their starting pads until the buzzer sounds; if they move too soon, a bomb goes off and kills them. However, this pause gives them time to look around at their setting and examine the Cornucopia.

And what is the Cornucopia?
    The Cornucopia is a giant golden horn that holds supplies and weapons. The best weapons and supplies are in the Conucopia, though lesser weapons and supplies are spread throughout the Cornucopia area. The battle which ensues at the Cornucopia is called the Bloodbath. Usually about 6 to 9 Tributes die on the first day in the Bloodbath.

How do the Tributes know if someone died?
    Every time someone dies, a cannon shot goes off. (Except for the Bloodbath, when they wait for the area to clear out and the cannons are fired later.) After the cannon fires, the body is cleared away by hovercraft, but the hovercraft won't come until all other Tributes are away from the body. In the evening, the anthem plays and the pictures of those who died appear in the night sky.

What sorts of things do they face in the arena?
    Aside from the obvious (other Tributes), the Tributes face Muttations--genetically-altered creatures--and traps. The Gamemakers throw changes in environment in to throw people off. They could light the arena on fire or remove all the water or cause an earthquake. These generally happen if the Games are getting "boring" so that the Tributes are killed or driven together to fight.

Do they fight one on one?
    No, it's a free-for-all. Tributes can make alliances or go rogue. But even if there's an alliance, they're going to have to kill each other in the end. :]

What are Sponsors and gifts?
    During the Games, the mentors seek sponsors to buy gifts to send via silver parachute to the Tributes in the Games. The gifts are often small since they're so expensive. They can be everything from food to medicine to a useful item. In order to get sponsors, the mentors have to make the Tributes appealing to the potential sponsers so that the sponsers would be interested in dumping boatloads of money into gifts to help keep the Tributes alive.

How long is an average Game?
    Games can last between 5 days to two weeks. There have been some flop Games in the past which lasted only a couple of days (disappointing to the fans) and others which lasted multiple weeks (boring to the fans since there's not constant death).

Do the district residents know what is going on?
    Yes! The Games are filmed with hidden cameras. The Tributes never know when they're going to be on TV or where the cameras are located. All district residents have TVs in their house and must watch the Games. It goes in real time with lots of excellent replays in the dull moments. It is a crime to not watch the Hunger Games.

What, exactly, is an arena?
    An arena is a place where the Tributes battle. They are generally themed and contain a couple different sections with varying terrain and challenges. For example, a taiga forest full of coniferous trees, a river, an open field, etc. There's generally always something to hide behind so that characters aren't killed off on the first day.

--------------------
[PM] [EMAIL]
^
Dr. Gemgebralth Taylor
 Posted: Nov 9 2010, 01:06 AM
[QUOTE]
Dungeon Master
Male
5'9"
x LBS
Capitol

Gem

About Roleplay and the Games

How are Tributes chosen?
    Tributes are chosen by random drawing. However, Tributes' chances increase when they take out Tessarae.

Is there a maximum number of Tessarae each character can have?
    Yes. In the book, it depended on age, but for simplicity's sake, we're saying that each character can take out three Tessarae. However, each Tessarae costs 5 moneys. (see under your avatar.) This means that if you take out all three of the Tessarae allowed, your character's name will go into the drawing 4 times.

Why would I want to take out Tessarae?
    Because either you want your character to go to the Games, the character himself wants to go to the Games, or the character's family needs food.

Can my character volunteer for the Games?
    Yes, but we have to give each member whose character is initially chosen chance to say whether or not he wants his character to go to the Games. Volunteering is extremely rare, except in Career districts (D1, 2 and 4) where people train for the Games. If, after a period of time later to be determined, the initial Tribute's player decides that he or she does not want the character to go to the Games, another player can step up with the character. However, because it's in character, it has to be within that character's nature to volunteer.

What if my character is chosen and I don't want him to go?
    If someone doesn't volunteer to take your character's position, your character must go to the Games. It'll be fun, I promise. :]

Do we RP prep week?
    Yes! Prep week is definitely RPed so we can have fun with the rich food, training, and awkward interactions between Tributes, mentors and stylists.

Does my character have to give an interview?
    No. This is not mandatory. However, it's part of the experience.

Does my character have to do training?
    No. If you do not do this, we will assign your character a random score. If you choose to participate, you will PM your training post to the appropriate account and when they're all collected, the points will be announced. If you fail to do this part, a score will be assigned automatically. But what fun is that?

How does time flow in the Games?
    Time flows with each day in the Games being 7 days IRL. This is to give people the chance to interact with other Tributes without dying automatically just because they had to go to work or take a test in class IRL.

How many threads can my character be in at once?
    While a character can be in as many threads as he wants in most of the RP sections, in the arena, he can only be in one place at a time. This is to keep the character from dying in one thread but being alive in a thread that's supposed to take place later.

How does fighting work?

Wait a second--how come some characters start with higher points than others?
    The Games weren't meant to be fair in-character. They're meant to be skewed so that some people are killed right away and others last longer. It makes it easier to place bets and provides more entertainment. After all, someone who has trained his entire life for this would tend to be better than a weakling from an underfed district who has never fought a day in his life.

Can characters team up?
    Definitely. They oftentimes do. But in the end, they're going to have to kill each other.

--------------------
[PM] [EMAIL]
^
Dr. Gemgebralth Taylor
 Posted: Nov 9 2010, 11:13 AM
[QUOTE]
Dungeon Master
Male
5'9"
x LBS
Capitol

Gem

About Life in Panem

Before I go into the FAQ for Panem, please make sure to read the settings thread, where many of your questions will be answered.

What is Panem?
    Panem is a nation that formed in what used to be North America. It is comprised of former USA and parts of Canada and Mexico.

What's life in Panem like?
    It's much like our own world. There's a prominent pop culture, similar housing, etc. However, the Capitol has removed the ability of free speech.

Where in the districts do people live?
    The City is the focus of this RP. People of all twelve districts live in the City. People can live in all parts of Panem, though they might be limited by their districts.

What to residents of one district think of residents of another district?
    There are huge social gaps between districts. The upper districts look down on lower districts, and the lower districts are wary of the upper districts. However, they still unite to do trade and such. And interact. Or there wouldn't be a way to RP.

What do residents of the districts think about the Capitol?
    It depends. To some the Capitolites are celebrities and they want to be like them. But to others, they disdain them for taking pleasure in watching innocent children be slaughtered. There is a huge societal block between districts and Capitol, so the district residents don't really know how Capitol residents live except that they're wealthier and love the Games.

What do the Capitol residents think about the districts?
    They don't see the residents as truly human, even though they know they are. They're so distant emotionally that it doesn't matter a whole lot if the district residents were all killed--well, aside from the fact that the lack of workers and resources would interrupt their wealthy lifestyle.

Can my character have pets?
    Yes. But remember that pets cost money, so please make them appropriate to the character.

--------------------
[PM] [EMAIL]
^
Dr. Gemgebralth Taylor
 Posted: Nov 9 2010, 11:38 AM
[QUOTE]
Dungeon Master
Male
5'9"
x LBS
Capitol

Gem

About Site Functions

How Often are Activity Checks?
    Activity Checks are held usually after Hunger Games and when activity stagnates. Each activity check is open for about a week. Members are required to post in the activity check unless they have valid away notices posted in the Away forum.

What Happens if I Don't Respond to a Check?
    Your characters' information is archived and your claims are deleted. Your account might be placed into the "inactive" group.

Do You Delete Accounts?
    Not normally. Sometimes I delete inactive accounts which have only a few posts on them. However, I like to maintain accounts for two reasons: 1) It's harder to follow HG stories and individual stories when there is a "guest" (deleted account) user. 2) Members are always welcome back to pick up their characters and continue.

That said, if you leave for awhile, please make sure that you do not leave behind open threads or leave existing plots in limbo.

Why is there No Word Count?
    Sixth Station has been--and always will be--a "quality over quantity" sort of site. Adding arbitrary numbers to reach does not work for every writer, and to assume that everyone should not only be able to reach X number of words per post but have their posts improve with more words is a silly thing. Every writer is different; some people make excellent short posts and some people are better with long posts. Post length does not determine--nor does it factor into--post quality.

That said, all writers are required to give their writing partner something to respond to in each post.

Why is There no doHTML Enabled for Members?
    DoHTML is a security risk when enabled for members and/or guests. Sixth Station chooses to value its security over the use of doHTML.

Are Posting Templates Allowed?
    BBcode templates are allowed provided that the user does not change the font face or the font size. I need to be able to read posts, and I can't read font that is too small. However, you are allowed to use pictures and decorative texts. You are also allowed to use custom BBcodes, such as the [fancy*] tag that justifies the post alignment.

Why Are Moving Gifs Not Allowed?
    Moving gifs are distracting and slow down page load time for some users. Therefore, you are not allowed to post moving gifs in posts, avatars and signatures. However, you are allowed to use them in plotting pages and those sorts of things as well as OoC.

Note: small buttons are allowed in signatures as long as they are 1) small, and 2) not seizure-inducing.

How Many Characters Can a Member Have?
    Members are allowed to have as many characters as they like provided they can keep up with them. Members who cannot keep up with their characters will not be allowed to make new characters. Please be respectful and make sure to keep up with your threads and plots.

--------------------
[PM] [EMAIL]
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options ADD REPLY NEW TOPIC NEW POLL

SixthStation

BLOOD & ASHES - AN AU HGRP Rise of the Believers Interitus Visionary Tales Red Carpet & Rebellion Accursed Skyrim Song of the Mockingjay

Keep the Dream Alive! THE UNDERGROUND The Next Incantation Lochland Grove TWF HungerGamesRP RPG-D GRAPHICS GAMES