• Next Hunger Games
    Our next Hunger Games is a little different than our previous ones. Called "Battle Royale," this Hunger Games will feature one lucky class to be sent to the Hunger Games together. Mr. Dressler's honors history class tried to ignite revolution in Panem. And for their trouble, they will be sent to the arena together. Join us by making a high school junior (16-17 years old) from District 11. See the Battle Royale Subforum for more information. We aim to start in December so now's the time to start developing your character!
  • Staff
    Gem
    Head Admin
    GMT -8
    Jade
    Games Admin
    GMT -6
    Fading
    Admin
    GMT -?
    Lux
    GMT -?
    Callanthas
    GMT -7
  • Credits
    Thank you to Suzanne Collins for the creation of Panem and The Hunger Games trilogy. And thank you for the following people who contributed to site design: Ring Wang: banner slideshow code, Revo: fixed sidebar code, Gem: site skin(s).

And many thanks to Sixth Station members for their characters, posts, creativity and work. Thank you to everyone mentioned and unmentioned for the work put into making this site the great board it is.

Thank You

After four years, we have decided to close down Sixth Station. The site has meant so much to many of us who spent countless hours into our game. Thank you to everyone who has been a part of our game.

The 101-Fall Hunger Games are wrapping up. You have 24-48 hours to enter the final posts. Members can still post in the "History of Sixth Station" and the "Connection" forums.

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) ADD REPLY NEW TOPIC NEW POLL

» How Do You Disengage?, tag; bolt/ellie! [D10]
Bolt Arcadia
 Posted: Jun 20 2012, 01:47 PM
[QUOTE]
Physician
Male
5'11"
172 LBS
District Ten
31-December 11 • 1070 Moneys

Ellie

Bolt raised his eyebrows at the number. Seven. That was quite a lot of foster homes, quite a lot of moving around, and time in the group home as well...he couldn't imagine a reason the kid would have had to move around so much. Orsino seemed like a pretty quiet, responsible kid to him; no reason for a family to kick one like that to the curb. But then, it was Ten; he supposed he could actually conjure up some reasons for a kid to move around that much. He just didn't want to.

He smiled when Sebastian said Orsino hadn't wanted to leave, even to a wealthy family. Sounded about right, from what he knew of the boy. "Who would want to?" he said. "Move again? New family, new start, again? I'd probably want to stay put, too."

He opened the door of a storage closet, though he knew it was no use--the dogs couldn't open doors, after all. He poked around in there for a few minutes, but there was no sign of the box--at least, not the sort of box they were looking for. Storage boxes, yes. Puzzle boxes, no.

This was not going to go well.

"While we're looking," he began out of the blue, because hell, if they were going to have a terribly fruitless search for an incredibly meaningful personal item, he might as well pile on top by having a slightly awkward discussion. "I had meant to talk to you about something."

He checked behind a bookshelf--ha, another stupid idea--and then glanced over at Sebastian, pausing his search for a moment while he tried to find the correct words. But what usually worked best for him in the end, at least with his own kids, was to be straightforward. Kids always knew when you were getting at something, anyway.

"I don't know what exactly it is you....do," he began. "Nor if it has to do with getting into other people's houses the way you first came into this one. I don't even know that I want to know, honestly--but I think it's probably about time you thought about finding a proper job. I'd be happy to help you look, if you want. But you're old enough to really start thinking about this sort of thing--and you're smart enough to know about the potential consequences of other, less...professional work."

--------------------
user posted image
Thanks to Jimmy for the awesome set!!
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
[PM]
^
Sebastian Gates-Kava
 Posted: Jun 20 2012, 02:50 PM
[QUOTE]
100.C Games Champion
Male
5"8
155 LBS
District Ten
13-April 12 • 270 Moneys

Jimmy

It was as he started looking in the second bookcase in the room that Bolt brought that up. To be fair, he'd been part of this conversation before. His mother - his father - they both tried together and alone back when he first started this whole business as a courier at sixteen years old. He never did explain it to them, but, like Bolt, they seemed to get the gist of the fact that it was not exactly legal. In fact, it was very illegal, even if he wasn't entirely about stealing. That was more a side portion of the whole deal. Not that that would matter to a Peacekeeper if he ever got caught.

Not that he got caught.

Yet. He reminded himself.

But there was still a distinct difference between Bolt bringing this up and his parents bringing this up. Yes, he was just good at what he did. Sure, he did not exactly have the best motives, but he could sneak around typically very easily... And, again, without the best motives, he could definitely charm a few people into... aiding him, as it were.

But this was also Bolt. This was someone who offered to have him live there with no grand connection to him. In fact, it was a very... tentative one, at best. Not to mention the fact that it had somehow played party in why he had been kicked out of his home in the first place. For a moment, he wondered if getting a good job would let them back into that family. However, this seemed unlikely. It was a part of it, but not a whole. That besides, he wasn't sure he would want to go back at this point. Find a place of his own? Sure. Go back there? No.

"For the record, I do know what I choose to do. I'm good enough at it." He was checking a third shelf by now. "I've thought of it, though." There was a problem of fear, however. He was in District Ten, after all. The slaughterhouse? That would only remind him of Orsino... and, by extension, so would most work with cows and pigs. Most of the work available entailed that. It would figure that he would maybe really think of getting a new job... and it be difficult to find one in an effort to avoid all things that reminded him of Orsino. "It's unreliable for money and he... never did approve." Enjoyed the puzzles? Maybe... but Sebastian never had to hear him say that he did not approve - it was in his eyes or the way he said things sometimes. That was how he knew. Sure, he was dead, but... the thought of continuing this when it felt almost disrespectful to his memory... well, it was a struggle.

--------------------
[PM]
^
Bolt Arcadia
 Posted: Jun 21 2012, 06:42 PM
[QUOTE]
Physician
Male
5'11"
172 LBS
District Ten

Ellie

Bolt wasn't so sure he liked that Sebastian openly acknowledged that he was aware what he did was illegal, and that he chose to do it anyway--not only that, but that he was good at it. He supposed that often, there weren't a lot of choices for the people in his district--hell, Bolt had only been able to do what he truly wanted because of Twist. With no mother and a brother who wasn't a Victor, he might have ended up in the same position as Sebastian. But still, there were plenty of jobs in the district that were legal, however distasteful or dangerous they might be. Orsino had worked one, after all.

He shook his head; it was unfair to compare the boys like that. Sebastian, he was sure, did what he thought was best. It was just time he reevaluated that idea.

"Well, it's time to think more about it," he said firmly. "I'd appreciate it, if you did, I mean. And while you're here, I don't want you to worry about money--what you need, we can get for you. I don't mean," he added as a warning. "That you shouldn't be saving, planning for your future, things like that. But if it's a matter of needing money for something now, you shouldn't need to be risking trouble, not for anything."

He paused for a moment, watching Sebastian look through the bookshelves; he supposed he could be helping, but the boy seemed to have a handle on it, and he seriously doubted the dogs had dragged away a box, jumped up on their hind legs, and hidden it behind a dusty old book.

"Is there anything you'd like to do?" he asked after a moment. "Not just that you think you can do, but something you'd be interested in."

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
[PM]
^
Sebastian Gates-Kava
 Posted: Jun 22 2012, 12:20 AM
[QUOTE]
100.C Games Champion
Male
5"8
155 LBS
District Ten
13-April 12 • 270 Moneys

Jimmy

Planning for the future... had never been a grand thing for Sebastian. It was always just making sure he got enough money and food home for the day. The same could be said for Orsino - and, if Hallie was a little older, she probably would say the same too. Planning for the future in Ten? Perhaps possible for those who had a future beyond the slaughterhouses or the farms or the herds.

Because that was a terrible truth to most people in District Ten. Life just meant getting through the day without being trampled to death.

Sebastian found something. It wasn't a puzzle box. It was a rather large spider, however. Using a large, somewhat dusty book, Sebastian more or less managed to scope the thing onto the book before shuffling out of the room and into the hall. "I... don't know. I mean... I like things that aren't really... working material. I like - I like..." His mind was scrambling to describe something more than liking books or liking to talk to people.

He was moving towards the front door with his little eight-legged friend in tow, more or less assuming that Bolt was following. "I like fixing people and things. Not like how you can do, but like..." He shouldered open the front door and went out onto the porch. "Like..." He crouched down on the steps, letting the spider crawl down to the wood and then off quickly before standing again. "Orsino couldn't speak. I know I've said it before, but I'm being literal. If you didn't know any better, you'd have thought he was an avox at fourteen because it was like pulling teeth to hear him say anything other than 'sorry.'"

Sebastian did not know exactly where he was going with this. But he was going somewhere.

"I was practically crying at the interview because it was a damn miracle he could speak at all in front of that crowd that they always have, let alone however many people here were watching. I'd like for him to have lived just to find out how he'd managed that without being sick on the stage." He honestly, really did not know where he was going with this at all, but he was moving back up the porch and into the house again, going back to see if he could find the library to drop off the book. "Point is, he was damaged as f**k and I apparently have a weakness for people like that so I just have a habit of trying to... help them." He didn't care that he had just cursed in front of a man who could easily have been his father if he had been a few years older.

"I don't know where that gets me, but somewhere I can help people or animals or something like that would be nice." He looked at the odd book in his hands for a minute, pausing as he did so. "And now I feel like I broke the trust of a dead man by saying half of that... Great. Just great." What could possibly give him that chance anyway? "Ignore anything and everything else I say because whatever it is I just described is probably a lovely pipe dream that isn't realistic at all." Maybe it was just something that permeated the place they lived. He wanted to do something he couldn't even really define and Orsino wanted to be a doctor. At this rate, Hallie would want to sculpt... Not that that would ever get her any money in Ten.

HOLY SHIT LONG

--------------------
[PM]
^
Bolt Arcadia
 Posted: Jun 23 2012, 03:21 PM
[QUOTE]
Physician
Male
5'11"
172 LBS
District Ten

Ellie

Bolt listened carefully, leaning off the bookcase when Sebastian started for the door, balancing a spider on a book. He stayed quiet, trying to piece something together out of all the boy was saying; it was perhaps the most he had heard Sebastian speak all at once since the boy had come to stay with them. He watched idly as the kid let the spider go on the front porch, followed as he started wandering around again, almost automatically following as he pondered.

The things he said about Orsino brought a sad smile to his face; they had had an interesting relationship, these two, and not just because of the things Orsino had said to him in the arena. There was a long foundation there, and Bolt would have bet that as much as Sebastian had helped Orsino, it had been just as fully the other way around. After all, how did you know you liked to fix people until you'd done it?

That whole thing, the fixing-people thing--Bolt knew it well. He, too, like to be able to fix things--people, in a literal and more figurative sense. Why else would he have put himself through the hell of medical school when he could just as easily have helped Twist write checks to various charities and still felt like he was helping? He enjoyed being the hand that did the fixing. That extended to other things as well; household problems, squabbles between his children, the lives of kids who broke into their basement and tried to steal weapons.

Fixing people had come easily to him--as plainly as Sebastian knew that's what he like to do, Bolt had known at his age as well. That didn't mean the kid was supposed to become a doctor; Bolt had had his own reasons for that. But there were plenty of other jobs--a social worker, for example, though he wasn't sure how prepared the boy was to go through the schooling he'd need. Or if that was even the sort of thing he was thinking.

"I know all about wanting to 'fix' people," he told Sebastian with a smile. "And it's harder than you think. There's not a lot that really does the trick, not around here, anyway. But you don't have to stitch people back together to feel like you're helping. Sounds to me like you ought to do some exploring--take a week, maybe, and do some volunteering at a couple of places, see if there's anything that really strikes you. There's the orphanage, though...I don't know if you'd really want to go there," he said a bit sadly. "Tutoring programs at the school, maybe. Hell, you can come to work with me, if you want, though I warn you, it's not all that exciting. And if you find you don't like people, you can always become the Arcadia family zookeeper," he added jokingly. "We've certainly got enough for a zoo around here."

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
[PM]
^
Sebastian Gates-Kava
 Posted: Jun 24 2012, 09:38 PM
[QUOTE]
100.C Games Champion
Male
5"8
155 LBS
District Ten
13-April 12 • 270 Moneys

Jimmy

Sebastian wasn't surprised at the information. Ten wasn't exactly the place where someone could afford to be fixed physically or mentally... Which, he supposed, he was speaking more for the mental end, but he knew well enough from watching Orsino's last resort at getting treatment... Well, his family, in the standards of Ten, was rather well off. Maybe not as if one of their parents were the mayor or a Peacekeeper, but they lived comfortably enough all things considered. Orsino could only barely have afforded pain medication if he had chosen the route that would have bought him only a few more years time...

And then there was something that Orsino arguably would have needed too. Help mentally? Needed, maybe... but more likely to be provided by friends or family and not anything that Sebastian could do in Ten.

"I'm not quite sure about the orphanage..." Like the slaugtherhouse, it would echo of Orsino, even if he had not been in one in years. "Tutoring is an idea, though I'm not sure if I'm quite... ah... smart enough like that." He did not underestimate himself. He was intelligent in his own way... But not in the way that would require teaching things like math and reading, which would be the only things that he would be tutoring if he did something like that. He chuckled a bit, knowing that the idea of being their zookeeper was a joke just in the way his face moved when he said it - the way his voice sounded but... There was an idea there. "But... animals... is an idea." His thoughts immediately went to Arrow and that instinct to take him - not because he was the smallest or the cutest, but because he was the one that looked the most afraid.

He moved back to the library-esque room and put away the book. "Not your family zookeeper, maybe. I've already got a habit of checking on a few of them anyway, but... umm... the animal shelter, maybe." He shrugged, unsure how to express this. Maybe not people, really, but it could be a job, he supposed, if they took him on. Jared might - he had given him Sino, after all.

--------------------
[PM]
^
Bolt Arcadia
 Posted: Jun 25 2012, 05:36 PM
[QUOTE]
Physician
Male
5'11"
172 LBS
District Ten

Ellie

Bolt listened to the boy muse, the box they were searching for practically forgotten, at least for him. This was better than he had thought the conversation would go--Sebastian was considering it seriously, at least, he could tell, rather than stubbornly refusing he knew best. Which, considering that he was still a teenager, was an accomplishment in and of itself. But Bolt supposed the boy had been through enough to make him a little bit more mature than your average adolescent.

"Well, the younger kids then, maybe," he said with a chuckle as Sebastian expressed his doubts about tutoring. Bolt had no idea how the boy did academically, whether he liked school or not--it hadn't seemed like the most pressing concern, considering the events of late. But surely, he could handle working a few of the younger ones; it wasn't as if they were taught anything overly complicated anyway. The expectations in the education system weren't exactly as high as the upper districts; the core curriculum focused on the district's needs, as most of its students would grow up to be laborers, anyway.

Bolt nodded approvingly at the idea of the animal shelter; that was a good idea, one that hadn't occurred to him. He was sure they were always looking for volunteers, at least, even if they weren't paying; it was a foot in the door, a way to see if he liked it. And the boy had seemed to have a certain affinity for animals; even among all of Twist's pets, Bolt couldn't help but notice Sebastian had brought in a few of his own. Not that it really mattered, in a house as animal-friendly as theirs; the more the merrier, he supposed. "There's an idea," he said encouragingly. "You ought to go down there tomorrow, see if there's something you can do."

He leaned off the bookshelf he had made his own personal support and glanced around; his goal for the day had been achieved rather satisfactorily, but they still had not found this box of Sebastian's. "About this box," he said hesitantly. "Any other ideas on where it could have disappeared to?"

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
[PM]
^
Sebastian Gates-Kava
 Posted: Jun 26 2012, 02:01 AM
[QUOTE]
100.C Games Champion
Male
5"8
155 LBS
District Ten
13-April 12 • 270 Moneys

Jimmy

Sebastian considered the question carefully, looking around the room again. "I don't know." He moved back out into the hallway into his room. He remembered the man from the shelter - Jared. The man had given him Sino, after all, when he probably did not need to... maybe should not have, even, given that Sebastian should have paid for her.

He considered his room before scooping up the kitten in his hand and lifting her up to his face. "Maybe I should ask all the animals if they've seen it. It might get me somewhere." He was ridiculously grasping at straws. Sebastian was not in the mood to honestly care as much for that fact.

"Sino, have you seen your namesake's box?" He asked, lifting her up to face him. He only got a mew in response and he let her down onto the desk. "I think I'll take that as a 'no.'" He commented as he watched the kitten nuzzle the puzzle star off the table, breaking it as it hit the ground with the clatter. Sino leapt down and started to sniff at the puzzle, poking at parts of it with her paw. "Not far from what he did with that, though." He moved back to the dresser, starting to sort through the top drawer again to see if it was somehow in there...

--------------------
[PM]
^
Bolt Arcadia
 Posted: Jun 26 2012, 08:33 PM
[QUOTE]
Physician
Male
5'11"
172 LBS
District Ten

Ellie

And they were back to Sebastian's room--Bolt had already begun to think of it as Sebastian's rather than the guest room, as temporary as the situation was--and still, there was no box. He was pretty sure it hadn't magically appeared back in the room while they had been looking, unless one of the humans really did have it, though he doubted that.

He smiled as he watched Sebastian with the cat--perhaps the animal shelter really was a good idea. Animals were less dangerous than people, in what Bolt considered the most dangerous way--sure, they had claws, but...there were far more dangerous things a human could make you feel that an animal could not, no matter how adorable nor how attached to it you grew. Animals might just do the trick.

"You handle the animals," he said. "I'll handle the humans. Maybe I'll go see if any of the humans have seen a box around."

He turned as if to go, and then something registered as he glanced at the cat pawing at the puzzle; he supposed he hadn't paid much attention before, because he honestly didn't pay all that much attention to animal members of their zoo household, but...had he called the cat Sino, as in...

"Did you...name the cat after him?" he asked, still in the doorway. He wasn't sure if that was good or bad at this point in time...as long, he supposed, as it didn't cause the kid too much trauma. And a cat, well...how much trauma could a cat cause?

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
[PM]
^
Sebastian Gates-Kava
 Posted: Jul 5 2012, 10:21 PM
[QUOTE]
100.C Games Champion
Male
5"8
155 LBS
District Ten
13-April 12 • 270 Moneys

Jimmy

Sebastian looked back at the question before nodding. "Yeah." He paused, turning where he stood in front of the dresser before walking forwards and snatching up the kitten from where it stood and held her up a bit. "She's the same kind of cat as the one that he had in the arena for a bit." He wasn't sure how well anyone remembered that other than him... But it was hard not to remember anything that Orsino did in the arena.

"And I think the person that gave her to me was because of..." He paused, shaking his head after a minute before pulling in the small one, cradling her carefully as she pawed up his chest, sniffing rather curiously at his chin and neck.

"So I figured... yeah." He shrugged, not wanting to say that it figured that it would be fine to name her after his dead... something or other that he really was not even sure on naming.

--------------------
[PM]
^
Bolt Arcadia
 Posted: Jul 6 2012, 09:28 PM
[QUOTE]
Physician
Male
5'11"
172 LBS
District Ten

Ellie

Bolt nodded slowly. That wasn't entirely disturbing, then; at least he didn't think the cat was Orsino. That might have been something to worry about. But having a similar cat to the one the boy had had in the arena, it having been a gift, making it a memorial to him...that was just part of grieving. Bolt was a bit relieved, actually.

"It's fitting," he said with a sad smile. "I like it."

He reached out and patted the kitten on the head and then turned to go again. "Let me know if you find that box," he said from the doorway. "And I'll see what I can do." He nodded and then headed back downstairs, to see if he could find some of the other human inhabitants of the house.

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
[PM]
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 2  ADD REPLY NEW TOPIC NEW POLL

SixthStation

BLOOD & ASHES - AN AU HGRP Rise of the Believers Interitus Visionary Tales Red Carpet & Rebellion Accursed Skyrim Song of the Mockingjay

Keep the Dream Alive! THE UNDERGROUND The Next Incantation Lochland Grove TWF HungerGamesRP RPG-D GRAPHICS GAMES