• Next Hunger Games
    Our next Hunger Games is a little different than our previous ones. Called "Battle Royale," this Hunger Games will feature one lucky class to be sent to the Hunger Games together. Mr. Dressler's honors history class tried to ignite revolution in Panem. And for their trouble, they will be sent to the arena together. Join us by making a high school junior (16-17 years old) from District 11. See the Battle Royale Subforum for more information. We aim to start in December so now's the time to start developing your character!
  • Staff
    Gem
    Head Admin
    GMT -8
    Jade
    Games Admin
    GMT -6
    Fading
    Admin
    GMT -?
    Lux
    GMT -?
    Callanthas
    GMT -7
  • Credits
    Thank you to Suzanne Collins for the creation of Panem and The Hunger Games trilogy. And thank you for the following people who contributed to site design: Ring Wang: banner slideshow code, Revo: fixed sidebar code, Gem: site skin(s).

And many thanks to Sixth Station members for their characters, posts, creativity and work. Thank you to everyone mentioned and unmentioned for the work put into making this site the great board it is.

Thank You

After four years, we have decided to close down Sixth Station. The site has meant so much to many of us who spent countless hours into our game. Thank you to everyone who has been a part of our game.

The 101-Fall Hunger Games are wrapping up. You have 24-48 hours to enter the final posts. Members can still post in the "History of Sixth Station" and the "Connection" forums.

ADD REPLY NEW TOPIC NEW POLL

» Better Angels, Danni/Zane
Vesper Lynd
 Posted: Mar 19 2012, 08:39 AM
[QUOTE]
N/A
LBS
-- • Moneys

It was a rare nice day in District Nine. Given the time of year it was supposed to be dreary and wet, but today was something special. It managed to hit sixty degrees out, meaning most people were making a point to go outside, just for the sake of enjoying 'something'. There really wasn't a lot for the residents of the District to enjoy, so most of them tended to grasp at what they could. A day like today was like a tiny gemstone in the midst of a constant flow of rocks; it wasn't going to get you much, but it was so much nicer to have than nothing.

One of those people that decided the outside world was much nicer to look at than their dingy apartment walls was Vesper, sitting on a meager bench at the edge of what was probably smallest park in Panem. It was technically part of the Square, where the reaping was held yearly. During the other three hundred and sixty four days of the year the District's residents seemed to use it for whatever recreation they managed to invent or find, setting up a handful of benches and tables where people could congregate if they wished. It was another one of those small gemstones that people clung to if they still had the will to do so.

The young woman was dressed like it was more of a spring afternoon than a late winter one, wearing a somewhat drab red colored jacket with black buttons, which were unfastened. Underneath she had a black blouse on, and on her crossed legs she had equally drab looking dark tan pants on. She was wearing glasses, she had decent vision without them but when she read or wrote she tended to get headaches from the slight blurriness.

Vesper had just recently taken a position at the junior high school in the District. As a child she disliked the idea of the work that most of the other residents took up, processing food and canning it. It seemed like it would be dull, and Vesper had a strange thought that seeing what the food like before it was canned would make her sick. It didn't make much sense when she thought of it years later, since she was seeing that food after the cans were opened... but the strange revulsion stuck with her into adulthood.

She'd brought her work to the 'park' with her, which at that point was devising a lesson plan for the upcoming week that would fit the guidelines set by the Capitol, actually teach the kids something, and manage to be captivating enough so that no one would fall asleep in class. It seemed like an impossible task to include all of those requirements. Only the first one was truly required, the last two were personal vows. The kids deserved something better, but it was hard to get away with too much. She was replacing the teacher that she had when she was younger, he'd been fired for 'subtly rebellious' and 'unnecessary' teachings. That was code for 'stick to the Capitol's curriculum', which also meant 'you're in a food processing District; keep your kids dumb'.

Vesper had never been a big fan of school, but she did enjoy her teacher's classes during her Junior High years. It was truly the only time she felt she learned anything, and it didn't take her long after spending her years in high school to have a desire to teach the same way. She could do it, she knew she could... it would just take a lot of work. Work she could never get done if she was locked away in her apartment, reminded of how alone she was in the world.

She'd been writing somewhat furiously in a notebook, but immediately stopped at the thought of that 'loneliness' she couldn't explain. It wasn't exactly lonely, it was more of an emptiness she felt ever since she was a girl. Her initial reaction to it was to be a rotten brat, a bully, someone who commanded attention through fear and anger. She grew out of that rather abruptly in her late teens though, replacing it with the opposite; unrelenting kindness, a smile, turning the other cheek. Neither end of the spectrum worked, but it was better to be kind, wasn't it? She took some solace in that, but it wasn't much. Just enough to make it a speck of a gemstone for her. One that was just barely holding her life together, waiting for some catastrophe to cause her to implode and crash to the ground, unable to hold back the depression any longer...

"Hey! Miss Lynd!" Vesper visibly jumped at the voice coming from her left, causing her to make a long and messy streak of ink in her notebook. The rest of her notes were still visible though, and she let out a soft sigh of both relief and amusement at her own apparent introverted moment. The voice came from one of her students, a girl that liked to sit in the front row, her name was Alice. The class seemed to like her, even the kids that were dubbed the 'slackers'. It had only been two weeks and she was already well loved by pretty much the entire class, as well as most of the kids' parents. It was a good feeling to have. "Miss Lynd, are you alright?" Alice had been walking by, just simply walking aimlessly, and apparently enjoying it.

"I'm fine, Alice. I'm just working, got a little too caught up in it." Vesper smiled sweetly, something she'd gotten good at even though most of the time it wasn't genuine. Alice looked shocked. "On... the weekend? Don't you get a break?!" Vesper actually laughed at that, a smile actually coming naturally. The girl had performed a rare feat, getting her to do so. "Of course! I work all weekend so that after class during the week, I can enjoy my evenings." Alice shrugged at that, apparently she either didn't care anymore or was satisfied with the answer. "Oh, alright. Well, I'll see you on Monday, Miss Lynd." Vesper waved slightly with her left hand, keeping her smile on. "Enjoy your weekend, it's too nice out not to." And that was the end of that, leaving Vesper once again alone. She kept her mind busy after that interruption, not wanting to slip into those dark thoughts that crept in when she started thinking idly.

She didn't notice when the wind started to pick up. It went slowly at first, but a sudden gust caught up the stack of loose sheets sitting next to her on the bench, scattering them literally everywhere within a five foot radius of where she was sitting. Thankfully the wind died down after that, and they weren't blown too far away from her. A few sheets continued to slowly drift in the direction of the slight wind. Vesper let out a slight laugh, smiled, and began to collect them. Another great distraction. She was actually half-glad.
^
Zane Maddox
 Posted: Mar 21 2012, 12:30 PM
[QUOTE]
Food Technician
Male
6'2
193 LBS
District Nine
28-February 12 • 135 Moneys

Danni

user posted image
Zane walked around the kitchen at his house cooking up a quick sandwich meal for his six siblings. Today had been his only day off in a week due to working both of his jobs, and it was the one day his parents were out working at the same time. So, although he was off from his job in town he wasn’t off from the usual babysitting duty his parents put on his shoulders. One of his younger brothers was nineteen so he was off at his job but the rest of them, were under seventeen and in his care. Zane didn’t quite mind having to babysit as that meant he got time to hang out with his siblings, who he loved dearly.

When he finished cooking up their meal he placed everything at the table and called out, “Hey guys! Time to eat!” Which vibrated through the house like an echo. Before he could set himself down in his chair five heads popped into the kitchen from separate parts of the house. Each one taking their respective seats around the table, “Well, let’s go. If you don’t eat now then we won’t be going to the park anytime soon” He murmured before taking a bite of his own sandwich. His eyes scanned over the group of teenagers and children that sat there, all of which were fairly healthy.

Zane made sure that when he was home they all got proper meals so that they didn’t complain of being hungry, his father was a poor excuse for a cook. Though, Zane was going to be a food technician so he needed to know something about it himself. His father just didn’t want to learn from Zane when he brought home interesting facts about cooking, and his mother took what she could. Some of the things Zane brought home weren’t even from training but from what Tawny had taught him at her home, his best friend definitely helped out in that aspect.

The food that was once on his plate quickly vanished as he ate quick, whether or not he would get sick from it. It was just always how Zane ate his food, something that he had gotten from his father who ate in the same fashion. When he looked up from his plate he watched his siblings who chattered away about their week at school, and even the games they’d played with their friends. It was very comforting knowing he would come home to such a warm environment after a long week of work. His middle sister nudged her elbow into his ribs to get his attention, to which he replied with a yelp and turned to face her. “Ouch! What was that for?” He nipped, glaring at her.

”Sorrrrrry! I just wanted to know if you’d bring your camera!” She chuckled, her voice clearing not showing that she was truly sorry for elbowing him but, she didn’t do it to purposely harm him. Zane’s eyes quickly warmed, not being able to stay mad at his siblings was his weakness. He brushed it off quickly and leaned his head on his hand, “Well… after thaaaat, no… Yes, of course I’m gonna bring it. I’m going to use that thing until it dies” He chuckled. “Tawny got me all the things I need for it so we’re good. I’ll get some pictures of you in there as well, as long as you help watch the young kids.” He murmured before glancing at the others who were now bored, food was being flicked across the table.

“Hey, Hey! Enough” He cried, reaching out and catching a carrot that was about to hit his sister. “Go get dressed. Isabel, go help the little kids get dressed.” He spoke to his oldest sister. She only nodded before ushering all the younger kids upstairs to get dressed, the older kids following. Only Zahara stayed behind, his middle sister, aged thirteen. ”Well, I’m dressed actually. Shorts and sneakers is all I need. She nodded before getting up to clear the dishes. Zane chuckled and got up with her, taking all the dirty ones and placing them in the sink. “Don’t worry about cleaning them, we can do it when we get home. How about you go and get some of the balls so that you all can play soccer?” He questioned, nodding to the hall closet. Zahara nodded and skipped off quickly to gather the balls for him, and while she did that little feet came running down the stairs.

By the time Zane turned around completely he had six siblings standing in front of him, Damon who is seventeen, Isabel who is sixteen, Zahara who is thirteen, Luther who is ten, Oliver who is five, and Schuyler who is three. “Everyone accounted for?” He questioned, when everyone muttered a yes Zane headed towards the door where he picked up a shoulder bag that contained his camera. “Then let’s go” He chuckled while holding open the door for everyone, when they were all outside he shut and locked it.

It wasn’t long until they reached the park as it was fairly close to his house which was good when he was home so that he could take his siblings there, it was good exercise. As they walked however Zane had pulled out his camera and began to snap pictures of his siblings, and all the things that lingered about him. The birds that flew through the air, the other people out for the beautiful day… they all were photographed as he passed. Whether or not the pictures were good was another story though as his finger often got in the way of the lens, silly Zane.

When they finally reached the part of the park where the kids could setup a friendly game of soccer Zane called over Isabel and told her he was going to go take pictures, she was in charge. Zane meandered away from them with his camera pressed to his face as he clicked away. The day was perfect for the pictures as so many things were alive, it was liked a rejuvenation after horrible weather. One thing however caught Zane’s eye and this was a gust of wind that knocked papers into his camera’s sight, he clicked away though at the papers getting them in the shot.

He pulled it away from his face with a click to look around, he saw a female going to pick them up so he rushed over. “Hi” He murmured while gathering as many papers as he could before another gust came and picked them up. He gathered the ones that had blown further away and found his way back to the female, she looked familiar, someone he had probably gone to school with. Her face was… memorable, he ran through the names in his head when he stopped and lingered on one, Vesper Lynd. He’d remembered the small crush he had on her when they were younger, they were never in the same group though so it wasn’t meant to be… or was it.

Zane’s smile curved his lips into a friendly smirk, “I got some of your papers. The weather is perfect besides the horrid wind huh?” He chuckled. “Vesper is it? Zane Maddox?” He spoke motioning to himself with her papers before putting his hand out to her with them in it, blushing. As he stood and watched the girl in front of him his blush slightly reddened, remembering the reasons he thought she was cute. Her face was beautiful, her hair, eyes… everything about her was something Zane appreciated. Crushes couldn’t follow them throughout the years…. Could they? How embarrassing!

“What are you up to out here? Work?” He questioned, attempting to pull the attention from his face to why they were there, “I’m here with my siblings.”

Outfit

--------------------
user posted image
[PM]
^
Vesper Lynd
 Posted: Mar 24 2012, 06:51 PM
[QUOTE]
N/A
LBS
-- • Moneys

Vesper was just at the point of wondering if any of the few people passing by were actually going to stop and help her when Zane actually did, which brought a genuine smile to her face. You didn't tend to see random acts of kindness from people unless they wanted something, and with the way Vesper was she tried to see the best in people instead of immediately looking for the worst. There was something about 'trying' to remain innocent and naive to the way the world worked that was a double-edged sword. People could take advantage of you if they wanted, but in the end you knew you were a kind hearted soul. Vesper needed that to keep her will to move on. She smiled and took the papers from him, first looking at those before actually listening to his voice and finally looking at his face.

She was rather shocked to recognize him immediately as someone she grew up with, at least in school. As a kid she wasn't close to anyone, but she at least made a few people she could call 'friends'. They were mostly people that found her to be more funny than mean, or just tolerated her constant annoying behavior because they were the same way. Either way, she remembered Zane as one of those people, he'd just been lumped in with everyone else that she'd long since forgotten about from her younger days. Even seeing people tended to bring back bad memories. The surprise of seeing him plus the fact he was stopping to help her seemed to make everything fine though, and she kept her smile on even after the initial reaction had passed. His blush didn't escape her, and without knowing it she returned the reaction. It was something about the way he was looking at her, she liked it.

"Zane! Thank you for helping me! So good to see you again. Yes, I'm just trying to get a little bit of work done for this next week at class. Thought the wind would cooperate more." She acted more glad than she actually was, it was a strange sensation to want to do so. It had been a long time since she'd truly been surprised, and to have such a nice one was a blessing. Normally she would have been very short on words, especially with someone she hadn't seen or spoken to in years. Vesper immediately thought of this and quickly reacted, somewhat poorly. She blushed a bit harder, and clutched her papers closer to her chest.

Her feelings had gone from incredibly happy to incredibly shy and uncomfortable in a matter of seconds, and decided to focus on something else entirely before she quit functioning altogether. "Your siblings?" She looked confused for a good ten seconds, but she was really deep in thought. Something was on the tip of her tongue, something that was right in front of her but just wouldn't quite click... and then it finally did, and she had that excited look on her face once again, the shyness seeming to pass immediately. She felt somewhat like a child again for a moment while speaking, somewhat proud of her realization. "Oh my goodness, I've been teaching your younger sister for a few weeks now. Zahara, she's probably my favorite student!" It was hard for a teacher to say something like that, but it was true. Vesper had never dealt with a kid that was so pleasant, in the midst of most who didn't care or were just a pain. Vesper immediately wondered if it was Zane who was raising her alone, and if so, wondered if he'd rubbed off on his sister. If she remembered right he had a large family, something she knew nothing about. She had no siblings whatsoever, and both of her parents were already gone.

"If you don't mind me joining you for a while, I'd like to say hello to her." She looked and felt honestly happy, she didn't really know why. "I'm finished working for now, luckily enough the wind caught me right as I was finishing." She moved back to the small bench and began to put her things back in her bag. She hadn't quite finished what she set out to do, but she was done enough that it didn't feel like a lie. Vesper also felt like she wanted to catch up with Zane, but was too shy to say anything about that. She also didn't want to impose on him, so she silently hoped that he would say yes.
^
Zane Maddox
 Posted: Mar 24 2012, 08:37 PM
[QUOTE]
Food Technician
Male
6'2
193 LBS
District Nine

Danni

user posted image
Zane thought it to be odd that all of them had been out of school so long and not all of them kept in touch. It felt like forever every single time Zane saw someone he knew and it was kind of odd when they met up. Sometimes he wished that there would be some big class reunion so all of them could get together to catch up, it was always fun after the odd-ness disappeared. He missed some of the people he considered friends back in the day, and the people he knew were his friends. Tawny was the number one girl in his life of course, she was his best friend and that never changed so she never left. However many others left especially when they thought he’d gone nuts after his brother passed away in the games, so far the only one of them to be reaped.

The girl in front of him hadn’t been one of his close friends, or even one of her best friends but she had been there in the outer ring. He made sure to talk to her in the hallways, after school when he saw her and that was mostly because of his crush though. But at the same time he could never push someone that was nice to him away, and she had been for the most part. The both of them had, had their moments where the other was rude or mean but those had been long forgotten by their next encounter. Zane could never be truly mad at anyone for longer than a few minutes so he didn’t much mind anything that happened, he was pretty much a push over especially to girls. When Zane caught her eyes and noticed her cheeks tinge pink he looked down quickly, biting his lip with a slight chuckle.

The boy nodded and slowly looked up at her, not wanting to make himself seem rude by not looking at her when she spoke. But it was kind of hard for Zane to look at her especially as the thoughts of her raced through his mind. He remembered the first day they had set eyes on each other in the lunch room when they were young, very young at that. He’d immediately thought she was kind of pretty and through the years that developed into a crush, and more but he never acted on it always thinking Tawny was the one for him. “Oh, it’s no problem at all Vesper. I’m glad to be of service” He chuckled and bowed to her in a joking manner, back to his old ways. “It is, we haven’t seen each other since graduation probably, maybe a wave or two here and there. Oh, ha, yeah maybe it’s not such a good day to do papers outside, soccer yes though!” He chuckled again, noticing her blush go a shade darker which forced his to.

She was still adorable, and now holding the papers to her chest with a blush made her even more so.

When she changed the subject Zane wanted to frown a bit but he went with it, turning his head towards the fields. “Yeah, the lot of them… six to take care of for today” He murmured, turning back to her. “They’re here to play soccer, and hang out with the weather. It’s gorgeous and my parents aren’t here to be with us. They’re never here today though, I’m the babysitter on this day. I work all the rest.” He spoke with a slight nod. Then when she so suddenly spoke up about his sister he laughed, “Really? You’ve had Zahara all this time and never put two and two together… ooooh” He stuck his tongue out slightly with a smile. “I’m glad she is, she’s like me reincarnated.” He murmured looking over to where he could see the small group playing. “She’s doing good right?” He questioned.

“Oh, no, be my guest. I’m sure she’d love to chat for a little bit when she’s done with the game.” He spoke, then he followed her when she headed back to the bench to get her things. “Well that wind must’ve knocked the work out of you.” He chuckled with a wink.

“So, as we head over… how have you been? Good I hope?” He questioned tilting his head slightly as they headed over. “Teaching right? That’s pretty awesome, I’ve been training to be a food technician… takes such a long time but… it works” He mumbled with a smile.

“Oh and if you don’t mind me saying but… you’re… very pretty” He uttered out, his face deepening to a reddish color before looking down and away from her. “Just been on my mind since I noticed you and I didn't know how else to say it.” He mumbled.

Outfit

--------------------
user posted image
[PM]
^
Vesper Lynd
 Posted: Mar 28 2012, 01:29 PM
[QUOTE]
N/A
LBS
-- • Moneys

Vesper had all of her things packed up and ready to go, slipping the band that was used to hold it over her shoulder and slung it behind her. She was excited, even though something like this seemed normal she liked to appreciate how nice it was that she had the opportunity to talk to someone from her past, someone who managed to not hate her after how she treated most people like a jerk. She wouldn't bring it up if he didn't, but it'd always be on her mind that she wasn't always the nice person she was now. She had a lot of work to do to fix 'herself' and the way she treated people before.

She realized how red she probably looked, and took a deep breath. It didn't really matter that she was embarrassed, but for some reason she cared how she looked in front of Zane. Vesper cleared her throat and responded after he finished, slowly starting to walk in the direction he'd looked when he mentioned his siblings. Vesper spoke up again, starting with a laugh and quickly degenerating into a trailed off thought. “I don't know if I'd say she's exactly like you, but she is doing really well. I try...” She paused for a moment, looking worried, but decided apparently to continue on with what she was going to say. “I try to make sure they actually learn something instead of force feeding them... well, you know. The kids deserve to learn something instead of being kept dumb.” She realized how she probably looked again and smiled, shaking her head. “I've been at it for a few hours, so I think you're right; I don't feel much like sitting there on that bench alone anymore.” She decided that this conversation was way too focused on her and tried to think of something to say about his training. “Food technician huh? That's probably the best anyone in this District can hope for, that's amazing. Congratulations!” The sentence was said with genuine cheer, but the words were a bit sad. To know that you were always going to be stuck in a life of mediocrity and mostly poverty, that wasn't a pleasant thought. She would never say that out loud though. She was genuinely glad that he would have something to do that would actually support his family. It was easy for her to support herself, even in the summer when school was out. She doubted she'd ever have any kids, mostly because of the Games, but also because she would have to be sure she could actually give them a life they deserved.

Vesper calmed down quite a bit while they walked towards the kids playing soccer, and she continued to listen to him ask her questions. ”There are not many options for a career around here, but you know that. Our old teacher, I don't know if you knew, got fired a month or so ago, I'm replacing him.” She looked somewhat sad at that, most people in their class liked the teacher. He actually tried to help them learn, and that was why he was fired. At least he was 'just' fired, there were far worse fates for people who did anything remotely near rebelling or trying to do something that would head in that direction. “I'm trying to do him proud, because I'm sure most people are afraid to. I might not look it, but I'm a pretty brave person.” She could have gotten into a lot of trouble if Zane was the type of person that would rat her out after saying what she'd just said, but she felt comfortable enough to assume that he wouldn't dream of it. She preferred to trust people, even if it would mean she would probably get hurt in the end.

And then came the comment about how pretty she was. Vesper was shy by nature, so it shouldn't have been a surprise that she turned beet red at the statement, literally unable to think of anything to say in response. She tightened her hands around the edges of her coat, drawing it around her as tightly as possible even though the wind wasn't blowing and it wasn't all that cold. It took her a full minute to regain enough composure to stammer out, ”I... uh... um...,” and she tried hard to clear her head so she could think. Obviously she liked the statement, it was enough to make her heart start beating what felt like twice as fast. It was also enough to get her to stop talking almost entirely, and if she hadn't caught herself she would have stopped walking as well. She didn't want him to think that she didn't like it, but she also didn't have a clue what she could say that would get that point across. After a few seconds of silence, she finally blurted out, ”Y-you too.”

She stopped in her tracks after that and realized what she'd said, and without much of a warning burst out laughing at how stupid she realized she sounded. It didn't take her long to realize what it probably looked like to Zane, and she didn't want to make him feel as uncomfortable as she had. ”I mean... you know what I mean.” The fact that she'd said something amusing apparently was enough to get her to lighten up. She was still red, but she looked genuinely happy. ”I don/t think anyone's ever said that to me, sorry. I'm not very good with that sort of thing.”
^
Zane Maddox
 Posted: Mar 28 2012, 02:51 PM
[QUOTE]
Food Technician
Male
6'2
193 LBS
District Nine

Danni

user posted image
Zane couldn’t help but go down memory lane as all of this happened, thinking of days in school with all of his friends. They’d all been so carefree, some of them not even caring if they’d be reaped, and some of them totally sure they’d never let it happen. Zane was one of the people who was hoping it’d never happen and keeping it at the back of his head even when the reaping came around. Tawny taught him one thing, try to be brave, don’t cry, be the big brother that the little kids deserved. Zane would meet with Tawny before the reaping every time and hug her tight until he had to leave. He’d cry in front of her every time too, thinking that if he went he’d not be able to survive to help his family. But every time Tawny told him he’d be safe and he’d come out like a zombie until he found his siblings. But that one year when his brother’s name was announced, the worst day in his life besides Tawny going… but Deon didn’t come home.

Zane slowly found his way back to reality when Vesper spoke again, he’d hoped he hadn’t missed anything she said. It seems as if she had just started talking though so he zoned in, “You’re the first person to say that. I’m shocked!” He chuckled, “Everyone says she’s like me. Friends with everyone you know? But I’m glad to hear she’s doing good straight from the teachers mouth. I’m sure you do, I have no doubts about it Vesper” He spoke with a slight nod before she continued. “Oh yeah, I’m glad you’re doing that. They deserve to know the truth for the most part, I mean how else would we have of come out the way we have? I gotta say our generation is pretty darn smart” He spoke with another nod. He wasn’t lying though, they had been taught pretty damn well for district nine kids, and they came out fine.

“Well good. I’m glad you could join us then. It’ll be fun having someone new around for awhile, I’m sure the kids will enjoy it too. I think I’ll enjoy it the most though.” He spoke with another nod and smile. “Yeah, been at it since I graduated. Ahaha, thanks.” He blushed, scratching the back of his head as she congratulated him. People did that often when they found out what he was doing and he took it in stride but he hated when people did it… it was kind of embarrassing. But he never told anyone he felt that way, he just wanted to give everyone comfort in the fact that someone who was good was going into a good field. A lot of elder folks came up to him and spoke with him about the job, ones who had long since left the business and it was reassuring to him that they had once loved their jobs. They had all been able to successfully take care of their families when they were starting them, and it made him smile every time.

“You are? That’s pretty amazing actually… I never thought they’d fire him, and he did such a good job. But I guess there is a time for everything right? Such a shame though… but! Atleast someone who can do better is getting the job yeah?” He murmured with a chuckle. He believed in Vesper and he wasn’t going to doubt that in anyway, “You’ll do perfectly fine and don’t you think otherwise. I know it’s kind of a scary job to be a teacher but if anyone could do it, it’d be you. I believe in you and I’m sure Zahara does too” He spoke with a nod, wholly believing that she’d be fine in the job as she was always fine at school.

Of course all intelligent conversation stopped between the two of them after his statement about her. He couldn’t say much more than what he had in fear of scaring her off so he stayed quiet. His blush was surely creeping up to his ears right now in a reddish tint, and the way she pulled her jacket tighter showed that she was feeling the same. It was only natural for them to act in such a way especially after seeing each other for so long, and after hearing such a comment. Zane was just telling the truth though, she was pretty and he had wanted to tell her. When she began to stutter, not knowing what to say Zane slightly faltered and went to take a step back. “I-I” He uttered before she spoke again and stopped completely in his place. You too?” He questioned to himself, hoping that meant something good of course because if it didn’t he was in for it. He looked at her with unmoving eyes and a steady sight, he want to get closer to her but he felt it wasn’t yet right.

Zane nodded quickly after she stopped and murmured something again, “Yes. Yes I do” He mumbled himself. He tilted his head slightly and decided, moving closer to her, about a foot . “I can’t believe no one has ever said that to you… I always thought you were way out of my league so that’s why I never said it Vesper…” He mumbled, quietly. “Um… well, I know we’ve just met up again but I was wondering.. even if this is kind of sudden, ifyouwouldliketogoonadatewithmesometime?*” He questioned, quickly, all jumbled together nervously. He’d wanted to ask her out since high school but never had the courage to do it, so he did it now with nervousness.

“I’vewantedtoaskyousincehighschool**” He sputtered before saying, ”I’m sorry, I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to! I’ve just ruined everything…..” Zane’s ears burned with a heat he’d only experienced once in his life, and his face did quite the same as he turned from her. It was an odd feeling that kind of took over him after he’d said all the words, and even that feeling was worse than the one time he had experienced it. He didn’t know whether to feel proud of himself or ashamed, but it’d basically be up to Vesper on how he felt about himself… and she’d be the one to decide whether he was going to go home with his head hung.

*if you would like to go on a date with me sometime?
** I’ve wanted to ask you since high school

Outfit

--------------------
user posted image
[PM]
^
Vesper Lynd
 Posted: Mar 29 2012, 01:49 PM
[QUOTE]
N/A
LBS
-- • Moneys

Vesper would have been embarrassed herself if Zane hadn't been so completely and obviously nervous about what he was saying. It took her a few seconds to discern what he was actually trying to say, but she'd dealt with enough nervous children to be able to figure out words that were spoken too quickly or jumbled together from anxiety. She wasn't comparing him to a child, it was just something that she was good at and didn't have too much trouble doing. Vesper had never been asked on a date, not in high school, not before that, not after. She'd either been too busy and stuck in her home doing work, or she'd just completely missed any male interest in her. Either way, her first reaction was confusion. Vesper wasn't sure exactly how to respond to him, or how fast, or if she even wanted to accept his offer.

She didn't want to stand there like a deer in headlights while she tried to think, so after her lips twitched a little bit she smiled and nodded. There was enough time to think that it couldn't hurt to go out somewhere with him, and if it didn't work out somehow things would go back to normal. ”Um... yes. I would like to do that very much.” She sounded like a mouse trying not to be heard, but she'd said it either way, very obviously ignoring the fact that he had apologized and was more nervous than she was about the whole situation.

Vesper now had time to think on it, even though she'd already made the decision. She felt very bad for how embarrassed he was, he looked like he was suffering and for some reason blamed herself for it. The answer for now had to be yes, she would have probably crushed him if she said no and made the awkward situation even more awkward. She didn't want to be pressured into doing something she didn't want to do, but that led her to her next thought. Did she want to really go out somewhere with him? The thought didn't seem bad at all, he was really nice to her and she didn't need to think too far ahead. It was just a date, and it could be fun. She really doubted that it would be a bad time, even though there was hardly anything to do in the District that could be considered 'fun'. Still, there was no reason to decline, so she felt fairly confident in her decision.

Unfortunately after she accepted the offer she 'did' stand there like a deer in headlights, looking a bit dazed even though she was deep in thought. She realized what she probably looked like and didn't want to make him think she didn't want to go, so she smiled again and tried to loosen up. ”I... I... um... you don't need to apologize.” She noticed her hands were going numb at the grip she had on her coat, and loosened that as well. She was obviously flustered, and wanted to get a bit more control over the situation. That was what women did in situations like this, wasn't it? ”I mean... um... one might think you were saying that asking me out was a mistake... and we know that's not true, right?” She managed to laugh a little, taking a deep breath. She just wanted things to be normal now, they had gotten the awkward out of the way. There was likely more to come, but she actually liked the fact that he was paying attention to her and she didn't want it to be ruined by her nervousness.

She felt strange trying to help him relax, mostly because she probably felt just as nervous and awkward as he did. Vesper had the thought that she was supposed to be in a position of power, and then shrugged it off. She was supposedly in control of her students like that, but she honestly never looked at them like she was in charge of them. Vesper was there almost as a servant, making sure she catered to the various needs of the kids. It was very easy to see that she was interested in their well being, so the kids seemed to pick up on it and treated her with respect instead of walking all over her like most people would have in a situation like that. In a way she knew she was lucky, but she attributed it to her kind nature instead of chalking it up to dumb luck.

She didn't want to have any sort of control over Zane in this situation either, she had no desire to manipulate him into doing something, and it actually hurt her to see him so nervous about asking her something so simple. It made her think of how she used to treat people before, and how nice Zane had always been even though she hadn't. It was her fault that he'd felt so nervous about asking her, she'd been the reason that he had to hold back on it because she was so mean, or rude, or whatever he might have thought.

Vesper realized that she was going down a slippery slope, but she could not catch herself in time to fix it. All she could do at that point was look at him sadly, before the tears started coming. Seeing someone be so nice to her, even after how she used to act towards people, it was too much. She tried not to think of how much pain she probably caused him and everyone else, but it was much too late to stop. Vesper still didn't want to make him feel bad, so she managed to blurt out an, ”I'm sorry...” before she put her hands up to her face and tried to hide the fact that she was crying. She'd just looked happy a few seconds before, all she was going to do was confuse him even more and probably ruin the date and the wonderful day it was.

This was the first time she'd lost control of her depression out in public in a long time, so she didn't know what to do. She didn't want people to see her like that, she simply wanted to disappear for a few minutes, or hide. Instead she got low to the ground, crouching before sitting, and tried to make herself as small as possible. She had to look ridiculous, she knew, and that just made it worse.
^
Zane Maddox
 Posted: Apr 24 2012, 06:52 PM
[QUOTE]
Food Technician
Male
6'2
193 LBS
District Nine

Danni

user posted image
Zane had always been awkward when asking any female out on a date, it just made him get flustered which was a common occurrence for him. Tawny had managed to get that side of him a few times but he’d learned to get over it with her, she was like his sister and first love at the same time. She was someone he had been around for his whole life and he didn’t want to ruin anything with her. Overall if it came down to it Tawny would always be his best friend, and sister for the rest of their lives no matter what happened in the future.

His mind slowly slipped back to the moment that he was in, right after he had asked Vesper out and everything hit him all at once. His emotions weren’t in check, they were a mess, and his face felt one hundred percent flushed, something that he hadn’t expected. His gaze found her face which seemed like she was startled after his question; certainly she hadn’t been expecting that. He wouldn’t have of expected that if he had been in her position, especially because he didn’t think that anyone would like him except for Tawny. Even with Tawny he didn’t know if she had ever truly liked him in any way besides being friends, he’d just always hoped.

When she replied to him he felt overjoyed with her answer but didn’t quite know what to do with it, he felt that she was joking a bit too. However Vesper didn’t seem the type of joke about things like that, she seemed pretty blunt if anything. ”Um, wow… I wasn’t expecting that. I-I’m glad.” He murmured with a slight hint of a smile appearing on his lips. He was happy about what had just happened he just didn’t know how to fully, one hundred percent feel about it. He had only ever asked one other girl out, and that didn’t go over well at all.

The look that was on her face though made him want to chuckle a little and pull her in for a hug, but he felt too awkward right now to do so. He didn’t know if she’d take kindly to that either because he didn’t know her rules, Tawny had always been hands on, hugging, play fighting, pictures, things like that. However no one else was like Tawny, she was one of a kind and Zane couldn’t ask for a better best friend than her. When she finally spoke again after the few moments of awkwardness Zane held his breath, his eyes staying on her face as she did.

He shook his head to her words very quickly, making it a point to stop her before she continued to go on. ”No, No! I do Vesper, I do. I’m sorry I said sorry, well there I go again.” He exclaimed before falling off at the end and looking down from her. Typical Zane to mess up what he was saying in front of a pretty girl, now he just didn’t know what to do with himself. Sometimes he wondered if he should get lessons from his sisters because even they have better times with the opposite sex, maybe Zane just spent too much time with Tawny.

The girl in front of him was so much different than her and it was kind of intimidating, even scary for Zane. He’d always pictured himself ending up with Tawny but right now it wasn’t Tawny in front of him, it was Vesper Lynn, someone he hadn’t imagined ever being in this situation with. The girl in front of him was perfectly his type which was odd because Tawny was indeed different than Vesper… he didn’t know truly how to explain anything that he was thinking. If someone had asked him to explain his feelings he’d probably just stand there all dumb struck, deer in headlights, and everything under the sun to embarrass him. The man couldn’t figure out his own life sometimes and he wondered how he’d go about it besides his job, would he ever have a wife? Would he have kids? Would his kids go the hunger games? It was all a mystery to him.

He had continued to keep his mouth shut after that because the moment he had went to he was interrupted again with a tear filled apology. He hadn’t been expecting that and it made him inch closer to her the best he could without getting to close, his breathing was hitched, he hated when girls cried. ”No… Vesper…” He whispered before reaching a hand out to touch her back lightly, her hands were over her faces which made him feel even worse. He’d never dealt with other girls crying before, only his family and Tawny so this was different… how was he going to handle it.

Before he knew it though Vesper had flew to the ground with her hands over her face still and her crying still audible. Zane sucked in air before flying down next to her, wrapping his arm around her shoulders, ”Um, hey Vesper. Don’t cry, please, if you continue you’ll make me cry…” He murmured while debating on whether or not to pull her to him. It was a fight in his mind that he felt he couldn’t win but before he knew it he was pulling her to him, he wanted to comfort her like he’d done for others… he just didn’t know if this was the right way.

”I don’t want you to cry because of me Vesper. I’m so, so sorry if I put you in this position. I really like you, or I think I do… I have since school, at least in some way. I just hope that wasn’t too much to think about, or too soon.” He murmured before bringing his arm back from around her and trying to pull her hands apart. When he did exactly that he put his hand under her chin to lift it up, his lips were pulled into a slight frown. ”Please stop crying.” He whispered before pressing a light kiss to her forehead and pulling back. ”I will happily go out with you on a date, I would enjoy it so much. And, um, if this isn’t what you’re crying about you can tell me. I will be here for you, I will listen to you…” He uttered softly.

His eyes had gone from scared to caring, warm looking and he knew it but his instincts to protect and care for a female came slipping into him.
Outfit

--------------------
user posted image
[PM]
^
Vesper Lynd
 Posted: Apr 25 2012, 06:47 AM
[QUOTE]
N/A
LBS
-- • Moneys

Vesper couldn't hear what Zane was saying for a good portion of it, but she could guess. She was mostly thinking about how she'd probably done more harm to Zane than good over her life. Making him feel awkward was just another thing to add to the list. Hearing him talk had a somewhat calming effect though, and she caught the tail end of him trying to make her feel better.

She looked up at him after a few seconds, wiping her eyes and then looked at the ground. Her face was beet red, she was embarrassed, and it was obvious. It'd been a while since she'd just broken down like that out in public, usually she just had a good cry at home and that was good enough. Too much had happened to get her going that day, and it was the worst timing to do it. Zane probably thought she was crazy now, and he was just being nice. That had to be it. ”No... it's not that. It's... just me, honestly.” She wasn't making any sense. Oh well, at least she'd stopped crying. Vesper was still looking at the ground, still too embarrassed to look at him. She had to at least try to explain what was going on, but the idea that it was going to scare him off was almost too much. No one knew about how she felt about herself and her past, because it embarrassed her to talk about. Everything about it was embarrassing.

He kissed her on the forehead though, and it seemed to make things a bit better. She finally looked at him, and it made her want to tell him the truth. ”I... I just get depressed sometimes. I don't know why. Little things... little things set it off... Usually I can make it through the day just fine, but... seeing you today, it was a surprise.” She sighed, eyes trailing back down to the ground. She had her moment of clarity and bravery, and she now wanted to crawl back into her imaginary hole and hide. But still, he seemed like he was being sincere. He wasn't laughing at her or leaving her there alone to be miserable, at least.

Vesper realized what she said could be taken badly, and quickly looked up again to fix it. ”I mean...! Not that it's bad that I ran into you! It's not your fault! I've just been... dealing with this for so long. I don't know what to do about it. I... haven't been happy in a long time.” She shifted to a sitting position, not wanting to stand up yet. She still felt awkward, and didn't want to look up to see if anyone was staring. If Zane wasn't there, she likely would have just sat there until dark, waiting for everyone else to leave before she quickly ran home, where it was 'safe' to be like that.

She still felt like she hadn't explained well enough, so she continued after an awkward silence. ”Right now... I just remember how mean I used to be back in school. And how nice you always were. I guess I wasn't that bad to you, but I felt like... I felt like I was making you awkward right now, like... like everything is my fault, and I couldn't stop myself from losing it.” She sounded more coherent at least, and she wasn't coming close to crying. Talking about it was helping quite a bit, which surprised her. It was embarrassing to have to say to anyone, but Zane still was one of the nicest people she'd met. ”I'm embarrassed... you probably don't even want to be seen around me right now.” It sounded pathetic, and she knew it. But it was the truth, it was what she thought. Even if he was nice, even if he was still there right now, she could only think the worst about everything.

Continuing on with speaking what was on her mind since it was making her feel a bit more comfortable, she wrapped her arms around herself and shivered. ”I'm... I can't even look up at you right now, I'm so embarrassed. I'm sorry you had to see me like this. I just want to hide. If you want to leave I'll understand. You don't even have to take me out on a date if you don't want to anymore.” She felt like she was a child again, talking to her mother after getting home from school. Usually she ended up bullying other people and it kept her going through the day, but she'd go home and just bawl. Her mother never understood what was going on, just assuming she was the one who was getting bullied by other people.

”You're the first person I've ever told about all of this, honestly. It feels good... even if you might think I'm crazy. At least someone knows now.” Vesper let out a deep breath, trying to calm down a few times. It was working, but she was still embarrassed.
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options ADD REPLY NEW TOPIC NEW POLL

SixthStation

BLOOD & ASHES - AN AU HGRP Rise of the Believers Interitus Visionary Tales Red Carpet & Rebellion Accursed Skyrim Song of the Mockingjay

Keep the Dream Alive! THE UNDERGROUND The Next Incantation Lochland Grove TWF HungerGamesRP RPG-D GRAPHICS GAMES