• Next Hunger Games
    Our next Hunger Games is a little different than our previous ones. Called "Battle Royale," this Hunger Games will feature one lucky class to be sent to the Hunger Games together. Mr. Dressler's honors history class tried to ignite revolution in Panem. And for their trouble, they will be sent to the arena together. Join us by making a high school junior (16-17 years old) from District 11. See the Battle Royale Subforum for more information. We aim to start in December so now's the time to start developing your character!
  • Staff
    Gem
    Head Admin
    GMT -8
    Jade
    Games Admin
    GMT -6
    Fading
    Admin
    GMT -?
    Lux
    GMT -?
    Callanthas
    GMT -7
  • Credits
    Thank you to Suzanne Collins for the creation of Panem and The Hunger Games trilogy. And thank you for the following people who contributed to site design: Ring Wang: banner slideshow code, Revo: fixed sidebar code, Gem: site skin(s).

And many thanks to Sixth Station members for their characters, posts, creativity and work. Thank you to everyone mentioned and unmentioned for the work put into making this site the great board it is.

Thank You

After four years, we have decided to close down Sixth Station. The site has meant so much to many of us who spent countless hours into our game. Thank you to everyone who has been a part of our game.

The 101-Fall Hunger Games are wrapping up. You have 24-48 hours to enter the final posts. Members can still post in the "History of Sixth Station" and the "Connection" forums.

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) ADD REPLY NEW TOPIC NEW POLL

» Spies Like Us, [red]
Maddox Riley
 Posted: Oct 27 2013, 05:29 PM
[QUOTE]
Student
Male
5'10"
164 LBS
District Ten
7-June 12 • 1605 Moneys

Ellie

Madd glanced over his shoulder as he headed towards the house at the end of the dirt road. He couldn't help feel like someone was watching him, though he knew that was foolish; there was nobody out here. It was the very edges of the district, and the road he was on was fairly abandoned; there were only a few scattered homes in the vicinity, and only the one at the very end of the road that held any interest for him at all.

It couldn't be. It was just some house, out at the edge of town, before the woods. Somebody was probably in there, napping, or waiting with a shotgun. He was going to get himself into trouble.

But Madd had never been one to avoid trouble. Not that he normally went looking for it...it just seemed to find him somehow. And he couldn't resist when he had heard what might be here, if he was careful enough to find the right house.

What sixteen-year-old could resist a whole library full of secret books?

It was probably expressly forbidden in some forgotten old law. He would probably go to jail, if anybody found out he was here. His family would get in trouble. But that only made Maddox more curious. What could books in a secret library contain that was so dangerous? That the Peacekeepers would so badly want to keep from the people?

He had to find out. And even if he wanted to turn back now, it was practically too late--he was on the steps. If there was anyone inside waiting to shoot him, they had probably already taken aim.

But no shots sounded. Instead, Madd reached for the screen in front of the door, pulled it back, and knocked on the normal-looking wooden door--a door not unlike his own, but behind which it was rumored there were many very interesting things.

He wondered if anyone would answer.

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image
Awesome av & sig set by Eva!
[PM]
^
Red Corcoran
 Posted: Oct 28 2013, 07:12 PM
[QUOTE]
Student
Male
5"11
160 LBS
District Ten
12-October 13 • 0 Moneys

Jimmy

The library was an odd sort of place, but he loved it for what it was and he hated the idea that one day he would have to abandon it. One day when he was past reaping age and everything. It was an odd sort of thing to run, especially when he would probably end up following in his father's footsteps. Sure, his blood disorder might prove to make it difficult, but his father had the same problem and seemed to be doing just fine...

He supposed he could do something else - but somehow he didn't like the idea of being stuck in a place that felt so huge and so claustrophobic at the same time.

It was a bit surprising when he heard a knock at the door. Most people knocked and then just let themselves in... Unless they were new. Cautiously, Red moved around the few people milling along the shelves to open the creaking, old wooden door. He looked at the boy curiously. It was always a bit of a loaded gun when someone new came through - you never knew if they were trustworthy or not, for the most part, or if you were opening the door to a Peacekeeper...

"Hello, come in." He managed, letting the teenaged kid - probably around his age, actually - in as he closed the door behind him, barely glancing outside to make sure no one else was following behind him or nothing seemed normal.
[PM]
^
Maddox Riley
 Posted: Oct 30 2013, 04:10 PM
[QUOTE]
Student
Male
5'10"
164 LBS
District Ten
7-June 12 • 1605 Moneys

Ellie

Madd waited a moment, shifting awkwardly on the doormat as he waited to see what would happen. No shots fired, nor did anyone scream threats from the windows, so he had to assume that--

And then, before he could assume anything, the door opened, and a boy stood there--about his age, perhaps, maybe a little older. He looked...well, he didn't look terribly surprised to see Maddox on his front step, but he looked slightly suspicious, anyway. As Madd was sure he himself did.

"Er...hi," Madd said, as he stepped in, vaguely wondering what the rush was, or why the other kid looked out behind him, like he was also checking for creepy things. Madd pulled his hands from his pockets and held one out to shake the other boy's.

"I'm Maddox Riley," he said. "I, uh...I actually heard something weird--that you have a library or something in here? And I just thought I might...come by and see. If it was a library or...if it was just a house."

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image
[PM]
^
Red Corcoran
 Posted: Nov 8 2013, 06:34 PM
[QUOTE]
Student
Male
5"11
160 LBS
District Ten
12-October 13 • 0 Moneys

Jimmy

Red paused, listening carefully to the kid and nodding. "Uh, yeah, of sorts." He turned, gesturing for the boy to follow him as he moved down the hall into the main room of the library, which had a number of bookshelves for there to be books.

"I'm Red. I'm here sometimes... Not all the time. There might be someone else here some days." Usually, that was for weekends - or after seven on weekdays when he couldn't claim that he was tutoring others.

He ducked into the main 'living room' as he looked around. "We don't have a huge collection, but... it's something." He said with a shrug as he showed the boy through the area.
[PM]
^
Maddox Riley
 Posted: Nov 11 2013, 12:39 PM
[QUOTE]
Student
Male
5'10"
164 LBS
District Ten
7-June 12 • 1605 Moneys

Ellie

Madd glanced around as the guy led him into the living room; it was as he said, definitely a library. A house, but also a library…a house turned library. It was rather bizarre, actually, and…there were people browsing around. Madd didn't recognize any of them; he wondered if Red knew them or if he was literally opening his house up to strangers.

It was his house, wasn't it?

"Do you, uh…live here, too?" Madd asked, his face twisting quizzically. "With all the books and the people and stuff? Doesn't it ever bug you--don't people come by at strange hours and stuff, looking for…er…what kind of books do you have here?"

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image
[PM]
^
Red Corcoran
 Posted: Nov 11 2013, 05:10 PM
[QUOTE]
Student
Male
5"11
160 LBS
District Ten
12-October 13 • 0 Moneys

Jimmy

Red shook his head at the question. "Nah, I don't live here. I just work here." He admitted, shrugging. He was one of the rare few in District Ten who never seemed to honestly need to be working from a young age. Sure, he did this, but he didn't need to do it. Between a Peacekeeper father and a teacher for a mother, he was all right. He wasn't even paid for this, really.

"But as far as hours go... They close at like... eight at night. Open around noon." He shrugged. "Sometimes they'll close or open earlier or later and it's closed for holidays and Games time usually." He went through the rules carefully, ticking them off on his fingers.

"We don't keep a record of names for safety purposes, really, but we do keep a record of what's been taken out. Nothing too fancy, since it's supposed to be discrete." Quiet and discrete. Sometimes there had been close calls with being found out, but thankfully that hadn't been too often...
[PM]
^
Maddox Riley
 Posted: Nov 12 2013, 04:14 PM
[QUOTE]
Student
Male
5'10"
164 LBS
District Ten
7-June 12 • 1605 Moneys

Ellie

Maddox was slightly surprised by Red's answer. So…he didn't live here. He just worked here, like it really was a library in a house. It was a weird sort of concept, which was what had driven him here in the first place, he supposed, but he couldn't quite wrap his head around where the hell he was.

Sure, it was one thing to run a business from home…but to invite strangers into your home? And kids to work it? And…whose business was this?

"Safety purposes?" Madd repeated, a little dumbly. He had heard…well, obviously, that this was a discreet sort of place, because of the content of some of these works. But…what the hell sort of place was he in?!

"Er…if you don't mind…what kinds of books do you loan out here, exactly?"

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image
[PM]
^
Red Corcoran
 Posted: Nov 12 2013, 11:44 PM
[QUOTE]
Student
Male
5"11
160 LBS
District Ten
12-October 13 • 0 Moneys

Jimmy

Red shrugged. "We don't have a huge selection, mind. You know, limited space, even more limited funds... It's how it goes." Especially since most of the books had to be bought under the radar - usually somewhere out of Twelve's Black Market or from otherwise nefarious areas or 'borrowed' from a friend of a friend of a friend who had a deceased ancestor that passed down the book.

"But we have a lot of stuff. Some informational stuff - things about pets or animals or science or what have you. There's a few books on philosophy - those tend to be the most dangerous books we have, actually. But there's also a handful of history stuff. A lot of what we have is fiction or fantasy too - that's what makes up about half of it..." He sighed shaking his head.

"We have a lot, really, but just some of them might not be safe to be caught with."
[PM]
^
Maddox Riley
 Posted: Nov 17 2013, 02:45 PM
[QUOTE]
Student
Male
5'10"
164 LBS
District Ten
7-June 12 • 1605 Moneys

Ellie

Maddox nodded along, glancing around the library as Red explained the library's contents. There were a lot of books here, in his mind--not as many as a normal library, of course, but a hell of a lot of books for one person to own, or even just for there to be in one house. The only other place he'd seen as many books was the one or two times he'd been in the Arcadias' house, and even then, he'd have had a hard time saying whose collection was larger.

His ears perked up at the mention of history; Madd wasn't exactly a history buff, nor was it his best subject in school--he was better at more practical things, really--but he was intrigued by the idea of a forbidden, dangerous history book. What could it possibly say that would make it dangerous to be caught with? What kind of history was there--besides the history they learned at school?

"I'm pretty good at hiding stuff," Madd said, hands in pockets; he was, in fact. And he was even better at stealing things, but he had given that up. "Any suggestions?"

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image
[PM]
^
Red Corcoran
 Posted: Nov 17 2013, 07:06 PM
[QUOTE]
Student
Male
5"11
160 LBS
District Ten
12-October 13 • 0 Moneys

Jimmy

Red shrugged. "I like the philosophy books best, really, but sometimes they can be hard to read. They take awhile and you tend to have to re-read them - might not be a good place if you don't already have a really good reading comprehension, but..." He shrugged.

"Are you looking for something more fictional and fun or for something more factual?" The factual could be fun too - and interesting, obviously. There was that one girl that was excited about reading animals and ecosystems and the like, after all. So there definitely was some interest for her too.
[PM]
^
Maddox Riley
 Posted: Nov 30 2013, 03:58 PM
[QUOTE]
Student
Male
5'10"
164 LBS
District Ten
7-June 12 • 1605 Moneys

Ellie

Philosophy--that sounded tough. Out of Madd's leisure reading range, to be sure; he didn't need more school books to study, honestly, and he was pretty sure philosophy, of all things, was one of the more dangerous things to be caught with.

But there was also history. And that…that was something he was curious about. When, for example, and how had someone decided that Ten was for farming?

"Er…factual, I think," Madd said, still slightly hesitant. This wasn't a good idea, he could tell, but…well, he'd quite like to grab a book and run it by Seb, just to see if it was all really as truthful and as dangerous as had been insinuated. If anybody knew what not to have your hands on, it was Seb--the Capitol was probably great at putting that information out there.

"History, I think," he added. "If you've got anything interesting…about Ten or…the districts in general."

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image
[PM]
^
Red Corcoran
 Posted: Dec 1 2013, 02:18 PM
[QUOTE]
Student
Male
5"11
160 LBS
District Ten
12-October 13 • 0 Moneys

Jimmy

"Maybe something about... Ten. Let me look." He said as he went to the small history section they had as he looked around the shelves. "To be fair, we're not entirely sure how accurate any of it actually is, so I would be... cautious, at best, at believing it, but..."

He pulled out a book and held it out for the boy to take. "That's a good starter one, I think." He told the other boy carefully. "And for something more general... try this." He said as he took out another book from the shelf. "Again, same rules apply, but it all works out well, I think."
[PM]
^
Maddox Riley
 Posted: Dec 1 2013, 03:26 PM
[QUOTE]
Student
Male
5'10"
164 LBS
District Ten
7-June 12 • 1605 Moneys

Ellie

"Right, right," Madd said, with a nervous laugh, as Red cautioned him about the accuracy of the books. "Could've been written by anybody, who wanted to say anything…yeah, I know. I'm just…curious."

There was only one version of history in Panem--or at least, only one that was acceptable to teach or to learn, only one of which it was safe to speak. But that didn't mean that was necessarily how it had all happened.

"Yeah, this one on Ten…that'll be good," he said, examining the book; it was a very nondescript cover, but that didn't mean its contents were the same sort. The second book looked older, and he took it carefully, as if afraid it would fall apart, though in fact it was rather sturdy. He nodded as Red cautioned him about the books again, wondering for the hundredth time if this had been a good idea.

"Er…great. I'll take these two, then," he said. "Do I, uh…need to fill out a form or something? I don't exactly have a library card, and I wouldn't want to…you know, keep them too long or anything…"

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image
[PM]
^
Red Corcoran
 Posted: Dec 1 2013, 03:50 PM
[QUOTE]
Student
Male
5"11
160 LBS
District Ten
12-October 13 • 0 Moneys

Jimmy

Red chuckled at the question. "No, we don't do that library stuff. Names aren't kept or anything. Better that way." Did he already say that? Red wasn't sure... probably. Either way, he looked at the two books.

"I just need to take down the titles and the date and you can take them home." He shrugged. "Bring them back in two or three weeks. Should be fine." He told him. It would all turn out just fine, Red had no doubt about that.
[PM]
^
Maddox Riley
 Posted: Dec 1 2013, 04:38 PM
[QUOTE]
Student
Male
5'10"
164 LBS
District Ten
7-June 12 • 1605 Moneys

Ellie

"Right, yeah--no names," Madd repeated, relieved. "That makes sense. Here, if you want to write down the, uh…titles…"

He handed the books awkwardly over to Red, shoving his empty hands immediately into his pockets. The books felt like contraband--which they probably were--but it wasn't going to stop him from taking them home.

"Mind if I ask," he added after a moment. "How did you, ah…get started out here?"

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image
[PM]
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 2  ADD REPLY NEW TOPIC NEW POLL

SixthStation

BLOOD & ASHES - AN AU HGRP Rise of the Believers Interitus Visionary Tales Red Carpet & Rebellion Accursed Skyrim Song of the Mockingjay

Keep the Dream Alive! THE UNDERGROUND The Next Incantation Lochland Grove TWF HungerGamesRP RPG-D GRAPHICS GAMES